Question Pick a new PSU or second hand better PSU ?

Aug 17, 2024
Hello,

Changing my CPU and GPU I need to upgrade my PSU (currently 550w).

What would you pick between :

1/ second hand Seasonic Prime TX-850 for 120€
2/ new Seasonic focus gX 850 for 110€ ?

The Prime TX is better but I don't know about buying it second hand even if it's still under warranty and with a fully transferable warranty from Seasonic.

Alternatively, do you have any recommandation for a R5 5600x + 7800 XT combo ? Would like to stay within this price range. Maybe worth it to take a 750w ? I'm also thinking if I upgrade again in 5+ years not to buy a new PSU

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

I would always pick up something brand new and is reliably built. The only condition I'd buy second hand./used is if the unit is being sold by someone I personally know and have a track record of maintaining their components with integrity.

For context, you should state the specs to the build you'll be pairing the PSU to. Otherwise it doesn't matter what you buy if it's incapable of power your build.

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
Chassis:

Alternatively, do you have any recommandation for a R5 5600x + 7800 XT combo ? Would like to stay within this price range. Maybe worth it to take a 750w ? I'm also thinking if I upgrade again in 5+ years not to buy a new PSU
Please mention where in Europe you're located, what your budget for a PSU is and if you have a preferred site for purchase.

Aug 17, 2024
Thank you for your answer Luftij.

Makes sense to buy new and I would be the same. What made me consider buying it second hand was the price of the PRIME TX being almost the same as the Focus with better performance.

Here is my build : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gz4F7R

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U12S
Motherboard: MSI B450M GAMING PLUS Micro ATX
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15
SSD: Western Digital Green 240 GB 2.5"
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM
GPU: PowerColor Hellhound OC Radeon RX 7800 XT 16 GB
Chassis: Cooler Master MasterBox 5 ATX

I'm located in Spain but have also access to France. My budget would be within the 100-120€ range. I would pick a quieter PSU in the high range rather than a more noisy but in the low range if I had to chose.

Also what I do is just gaming basically, games like GTA or RDR2, I don't really touch overclocking or this kind of things.

Last edited: