PIII 866 on CUSL2

G

System:
PIII 866, standard Intel fan
CUSL2, Bios 1001.A
256Mb PC133 Hyundai SDRAM

I have been running a PIII 733 quite happily with a 150Mhz FSB giving 825 MHz. I have recently bought a PIII 866. Since installation, running at 133MHz FSB, I get occasional crashes, often in IE5 & the machine locks up with a weird green vertical line screen display when woken from standby.
The temp doesn't seem to rise above 40 deg C

My question is this: Is this a Bios issue; if so which Bios version do I need.
Also, how far should I be able to get the FSB (memory previously OK @ 150Mhz)?

Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
133MHz is stock for the 866. This is not likely a bios issue. Maybe a bios settings issue. Set you bios to load defaults, save the settings, and try agian. If it still doesn't work, you may have got a bad CPU, or corrupted windows. Once you correct the problem, 150MHz should be fine.

Suicide is painless...........

G

Tried all this. Now using Bios 1003. Have tried different (copper) heatsink - it just runs warmer (45deg C at idle)!
Now it runs fine @ 133FSB but I can only o/c to 140 before it won't boot.
I've noticed it runs @ 1.72 volts by default.
Is the 866 just an overclocked 733?
Should I increase the voltage a bit more to get it to run stable at 140 FSB and above?

G

Remember it is not just your CPU you are overclocking with FSB increases it's your AGP,PCI, MEM etc etc....

M

one of the first UK T-Bird users....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I wrote you a lengthy response which dissaperaed when my computer went down-one of my hard drives developed a short and POP! Off went the power!
Now, Tom rated the copper hegehog poorly. Remember that surface area is more important than material, so having many thin fins is better than fewer thicker fins regardless of material. I have had great success using the BIG intel cooler.
If you need more, try the Globalwin FOP32 and Artic Silver. Also make sure you have adequate airflow.
The stock voltage for the cBO PIII is 1.65v. The stock for cCO is 1.70v. This causes me to believe that yours is cCO. I think they spec them as cCO when they won't pass at 1.65v, so would that make them factory overclocked?
The PIII has a stability barrier at 980MHz. The few chips that come out almost perfect will pass 1GHz and are usually marked that way. Some of the rest can exceed that speed through higher than normall voltage increases.
Your processor should run 975 at 150 with 1.75-1.80v with adequate cooling. Also, you may have to set your memory speed at 100 through the 133/100/33 selection if all else fails.
BTW, does bios come up before the boot stops above 140?

Suicide is painless...........