Review Pinecil V2 Review: Smart Soldering Iron, Powered by RISC-V CPU

Findecanor

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
A common complaint of the TS irons is that the handle gets too hot after a while, so you can't use it for too long.
Does the Pinecil suffer from this limitation as well?

Aug 29, 2022
Do you have any idea where to purchase the Pine V2? Can't find it in any online shop. Seems to be unavailable currently.

Sep 24, 2022
A common complaint of the TS irons is that the handle gets too hot after a while, so you can't use it for too long.
Does the Pinecil suffer from this limitation as well?

not for me and I own two V1 original models and 2 of the newest V2 models. part of this is Pinecil has the Silicone comfort grip at the end.
I choose Pinecil because it has 3 ways to power on USB-C PD65w 20V, DC barrel up to 24V/3amps+, and DC barrel with any of my tool batteries (18V-21). the older V1 supports up to 21V (but 24 if you do a modification).

V2 tentatively supports up to 28V EPR 140W chargers (pine upgraded all relevant components from V1 original model). I personally tested this it works on Apple 140W 28V charger and other members have Anker 717, anker 737 (28V battery bank), and several other EPR PD 3.1 chargers tested. however officially on the side of the V2 it only says up to 24V 88W (the new shorter tip is only 6.2 ohm unlike longer 8ohm ts100 tips). shorter tip gives higher performance. pine wants to be conservative on what it supports in the specs of 24V 88w, but several of us have already tested with success 28V 140W chargers and batteries ( with 6.2 ohm short tip that is potential of 126W). there is a Video on youtube comparing the speeds. and on EPR 28V, V2 model goes from 0 to 300C in < 3 seconds. "Search Pinecil V1 vs V2"

right now the Pinecil V2 surpasses ts100 on several levels for performance and comfort. it also has little plastic molded feet so it doesn't roll over on the table when you place it down.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2022
Do you have any idea where to purchase the Pine V2? Can't find it in any online shop. Seems to be unavailable currently.
check out the Pine64 Pinecil Wiki for all authorized sellers of V2 Pinecil link here
right now it's on Amazon USA, but Pine Store only sells the V2 on amazon. if you want the other accessories like Clear case, you have to get it from Pine Store main (ships from China ) pine64.com or Pine64eu.com (EU shop). other resellers listed on the Pinecil wiki that sell some Pinecil but may have some accessories. Only pine64.com has all the possible Pine64 options.

Sep 24, 2022
Pine64’s latest RISC-V soldering iron comes in at a low price point, but with features commonly found on more expensive irons.

Pinecil V2 Review: Smart Soldering Iron, Powered by RISC-V CPU : Read more

Jul 3, 2023
is anyone else concerned about this device having just a 30-day warranty? I've seen a couple of purchase reviews that claimed the device only worked for a couple of months...