Question Ping increased after swapping router

DavisBLv

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2015
i had issues with random ping spikes from 30 to 150 or 200+
i wanted to try another router, so i did, my ping seems to be stable at the moment.
but i noticed since the switch to the other router my ping has increased by 10ms - i am using ethernet

to my local isp server i used to get 20 now its 30, to google was 30 now 40+ as well as game servers 40-50ms instead of 30ms +

all equipment but the router itself is the same, i did not think my ping was router-related and more ISP related.

Is there anything i can check?

i have reset the other router, i have updated it to the latest firmware and set it up with the same config as my other one to connect to the ISP.

it is a router/modem or just a router.

What latency do you get if you plug directly into the modem. You might have to power cycle the modem when you change between the router and your pc.

A router will put a tiny amount of latency on a connection since it is doing NAT but that is done in hardware on most router so it tends to be less than 1ms extra time. Check that you do not have any QoS, firewall or parental filters running. Most this stuff is off by default so if nothing else reset the router to factory and configure only the wifi and admin passwords.

If the device has a modem in it then maybe there is something different with the settings. You generally can't change much. This would be more likely if it was a DSL modem than something like a cable modem.

DavisBLv

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2015
it is a router/modem or just a router.

What latency do you get if you plug directly into the modem. You might have to power cycle the modem when you change between the router and your pc.

A router will put a tiny amount of latency on a connection since it is doing NAT but that is done in hardware on most router so it tends to be less than 1ms extra time. Check that you do not have any QoS, firewall or parental filters running. Most this stuff is off by default so if nothing else reset the router to factory and configure only the wifi and admin passwords.

If the device has a modem in it then maybe there is something different with the settings. You generally can't change much. This would be more likely if it was a DSL modem than something like a cable modem.
Hi, I'm in the UK, its a VDSL Router - which is plugged in via DSL cable into the phone socket.
here we don't use the modem and router setup.
Yeah i cannot really change much, there is specific DSL settings that i have from the ISP that i need to enter and that's it really.

not seen this before, i thought once i connect to the ISP the rest goes through them.

So i thought the ping should be the same no matter what router i have.

i don't have any of those turned on, all are off

I have reset it to factory before i configured it.

anything else you can think of?

Its been a while since I had a DSL connection. There are 2 options and generally they set it based on the quality.
I forget exactly but one increases the latency but gets less loss. The ISP can change this but it is hard to say if it will be a better option.