Ping shoots up frequently just for me

joshoowah

Reputable
Nov 17, 2014
Recently I've been unable to play any online games because my ping has started going up to crazy amounts, and this only happens to me. there are multiple computers using the network but im the only one with this issue.

Basically, It'll start at around 70-80, then shoot up to about 200-300, then go to maybe 150, than 80, and repeat. this happens within 3-5 seconds, so everything freezes for a bit then comes back. I have no idea why this is happening, It can't be my router or DNS otherwise other people in my house would get the same problem. I've tried restarting out router as well as completely resetting it to factory settings to no avail. I've also tried redownloading my wireless adapters drivers, again no luck.

the only possible explanation I can think of is my wireless adapter has been damaged, but before I go buy a new one I want to know if there's any other reasons why this might happen and how to fix them.

All help greatly appreciated.

Solution
well 5ghz has range issues, that's why most people use 2.4... but 2.4 is sorta overused and as a result you can get a lot of "noise" on that spectrum from your neighbors wireless and the like.

802.11 AC routers tend to have ping spikes like you describe, they provide great speed, but often are unstable; so if you don't have "perfect" signal strength you'll have some issues like this

try your laptop/computer next to the router and see if the wireless reception gets better, if it doesn't then you have an antena or wireless card issue.
wireless adapter

well lets eliminate software first. Plug your computer physically into the router and see if the ping issues go away. if they do then it's a wireless problem; likely some sort of signal interference, though it is possible to be an antena issue (mostly likely signal interference though, especially if you're on a 2.4ghz connection)

joshoowah

Reputable
Nov 17, 2014

I should have mentioned I already connected through Ethernet and it worked fine. Sorry that slipped my mind.

If it was signal interference, wouldn't my 2 brother get the same thing? what are the odds that an interference only happens when I use it? And yes we are on 2.4ghz, we would change to 5 but then phones can't connect(we tried.).

well 5ghz has range issues, that's why most people use 2.4... but 2.4 is sorta overused and as a result you can get a lot of "noise" on that spectrum from your neighbors wireless and the like.

802.11 AC routers tend to have ping spikes like you describe, they provide great speed, but often are unstable; so if you don't have "perfect" signal strength you'll have some issues like this

try your laptop/computer next to the router and see if the wireless reception gets better, if it doesn't then you have an antena or wireless card issue.

Solution

joshoowah

Reputable
Nov 17, 2014

I tried it next to the router after testing Ethernet and the problem persisted, guess it's a hardware issue

joshoowah

Reputable
Nov 17, 2014

It's a Desktop :p Yeah it's likely that it just broke, thing is I forgot to screw it in place at the back of the case, so it's possible that it bent or something.

The weird part is that I don't loose connection, I keep a stable 4 bars and sometimes even full bars. Also, this only started happening after my little brother took it upon himself to update the firmware of the router. I guess it's just coincidence that it broke right after the update?