ExampLUk

Reputable
Jun 22, 2016
Hello, over the past week now i have been experiencing very high ping varitation. It is making gaming unplayable and my work very hard adn akward. I have tried everything in the books I can think of to fix it. My service provider is virgin media. My downloads and uploads speeds are fine, I am not getting packet loss, its just my ping is varying so much.
When I run a ping test on CMD to google.com, my ping will be stable at 20 but then spike to 150+ and this is what is affecting my gaming. I have contacted virgin and they cant seem to resolve the issue and are just giving the same old "turn it off and on" which really isnt helping. I am getting desperate and any help is greatly appriciated. Thankyou

Solution
Then the problem is somewhere inside your ISP network or in another ISP network. You are going to have to do the ISP work for them. They really don't care about delays only packet loss. You need to find the hop causing the problem and call the ISP and then hope to get someone who can do something. The end level 1 support techs generally have no access to the core routers. Even worse if the problem is not in your ISP you would then have to find someone you can talk to in that ISP. Most will not even bother with you since you are not actually their customer.
Run tracert to some ip like 8.8.8.8

Next run continuous ping to hop 1 and hop2. You can run others if you like. Hop 1 is your router and if you see issues here it some issue with your pc or router. It is extremely common if you are using wifi.
If hop 1 is good but there is a issue with hop 2 this normally represents the connection from your to the ISP first router.

Most problems will be packet loss. Delays are very uncommon and most times are caused because you have other traffic on your internet connection that is using all the bandwidth. It depends how fast your internet is. It tends to be easy to overload something less than say 25mbps but almost impossible if it is say 350mbps.

If you are not over utilizing your connection and you have a cable tv type of connection it could be your ISP over sold the network segment and your neighbors traffic is affecting yours. This type of problem tends to worse during the say or early evening but work fine late at night.

ExampLUk

Reputable
Jun 22, 2016
Run tracert to some ip like 8.8.8.8

Next run continuous ping to hop 1 and hop2. You can run others if you like. Hop 1 is your router and if you see issues here it some issue with your pc or router. It is extremely common if you are using wifi.
If hop 1 is good but there is a issue with hop 2 this normally represents the connection from your to the ISP first router.

Most problems will be packet loss. Delays are very uncommon and most times are caused because you have other traffic on your internet connection that is using all the bandwidth. It depends how fast your internet is. It tends to be easy to overload something less than say 25mbps but almost impossible if it is say 350mbps.

If you are not over utilizing your connection and you have a cable tv type of connection it could be your ISP over sold the network segment and your neighbors traffic is affecting yours. This type of problem tends to worse during the say or early evening but work fine late at night.
Hello, just a few things, I have an ethernet connection to my pc so it is not anything to do with wifi signal loss. And my download speed is 500mbps and upload is 100mbps. I am still getting this crazy ping variation and ping spikes and I really dont know what to do :(( thankyou.

ExampLUk

Reputable
Jun 22, 2016
Im pretty sure there are no issues with either Hop 1 or 2, I run ping tests and they greatly vary, it will be 20 consistantly then spike to 150+ which is unplayable

Then the problem is somewhere inside your ISP network or in another ISP network. You are going to have to do the ISP work for them. They really don't care about delays only packet loss. You need to find the hop causing the problem and call the ISP and then hope to get someone who can do something. The end level 1 support techs generally have no access to the core routers. Even worse if the problem is not in your ISP you would then have to find someone you can talk to in that ISP. Most will not even bother with you since you are not actually their customer.

Last edited:
Solution