Question Pixel line issue appears when refresh-rate is set higher than 144hz ?

Nov 2, 2021
Hello!

I have an issue with my monitor, which is a very annoying one. I have investigated it a lot, but still do not understand why it is occurring.

nBZrTOE.jpeg

jxcrkUO.jpeg

The problem is that I am getting a pixel line issue horizontally at a fixed y-position on my monitor (see the pictures), but it only appears when the refresh-rate is set higher than 144hz (for example 200hz and 240hz). As soon as I change back to 144hz or lower, the pixel line issue is getting away slowly for about 5 min. Also the pixel line issue is faded or gradient, meaning that the issue is most visible on far left, but on far right it is not visible at all (on same y position height). Here is a video showing this (I have painted a black line in paint program, where the pixel line issue is directly above the black line. The pixel line issue is showing a faded red line from left to right):

View: https://imgur.com/RJg0WQu

Another interesting detail is that the it looks like there is a dependency between the pixel line (at the y position where the issue is) and the pixel line at the (y-1) position below (which is not faulty). This is because the pixel line issue is only visible when the pixel line at y and pixel line at y-1 are supposed to show different colors. But when pixel line at y and pixel line at y-1 are supposed to show the same colors, then the pixel line issue is not shown (see the picture below). This is the reason why I do not see this pixel line issue when doing a pixel test to check if my monitor has dead or stuck pixels since the entire screen is red, blue, green, white or black (the pixel test passes). This means that I do not have any dead or stuck pixels, right? One more thing to add is that I have been working from home this year. I have then used a docking station to be able to connect my monitor and other devices to my laptop (laptop for work). Has the docking station damaged my monitor? Is that the reason?

Z7zUKkA.jpeg

What is going on and why do I have this pixel line issue?

The monitor I have is Asus ROG Swift PG258Q, which supports 240hz and also G-Sync (I have G-Sync set to OFF). I have tried to use the monitor with other computers (also laptops), but the issue is still there. This means that it has nothing to do with my stationary computer. Also, I have cleaned/reinstalled my Windows 10, but the issue is still there, which confirms that it has nothing to do with the operating system either. Here are even more things that I have done to try to solve the problem without success (just so that you know):

• Entered the monitor's OSD menu and did "All Reset" in System setup.
  • Tried to remove my graphic card from my motherboard and cleaned a bit. Connected my graphic card back to my motherboard again.
  • Cleared CMOS (Reset BIOS) and booted in Safe Mode , but still get the issue.
  • Used a completely different cable, but the issue is still there (which means that it has nothing to do with the cable).
  • Completely uninstalled my NVIDIA driver with the program called Display Driver Uninstaller (Clean and Restart option). Later on, installed with an older NVIDIA display driver version. Unfortunately, this did not help. Right now, I have the newest driver version again.
Some thoughts that I have had are:

• Has the docking station damaged my monitor (even though I have had my monitor connected to the docking station for 6 months without having the issue before the issue came)?
  • Are there some power issues or something? Is something wrong with the original ASUS power adapter connected to my monitor (got broken due to using it for a while now)? Maybe this is not the cause since I can still turn my monitor ON (since it gets power). Otherwise my monitor would not get any power at all so that it cannot be turned ON at all (which is not the case here since it can be turned on).
I have never experience something like this before. This is the strangest issue that I have ever had. If someone knows something more about this issue or may have a solution to it, please let me know. I appreciate all your help and your willing to help me out.

Best regards,
Am4r

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you state what OS version(not edition) you're on for Windows 10? Along those lines, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Make and model of your PSU and it's age? As for the GPU, what are you working with? If the issue is persistent with other platforms, then the issue can be compounded to the monitor being the culprit. Make and model of your docking station?

Nov 2, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you state what OS version(not edition) you're on for Windows 10? Along those lines, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Make and model of your PSU and it's age? As for the GPU, what are you working with? If the issue is persistent with other platforms, then the issue can be compounded to the monitor being the culprit. Make and model of your docking station?
Yeah you are right, looks like something is wrong with my monitor since I have used my monitor with other computers where I still get the issue. Maybe the monitor is stuck in a loop or something (in the firmware) that makes it show that pixel line in an incorrect manner? Anyway, it looks like it is not a dead pixel issue, since I do not get the pixel line issue when having 144hz or less. I have tried to use other monitors that I have connected to my stationary computer and I do not get the issue with those monitors. Therefore the cause should not be due to Windows 10, BIOS, PSU or GPU. But can it still be something wrong with the ASUS adapter that is used to power my monitor? Is this adapter not giving enough power to my monitor maybe? Do you know if more power is needed for monitors when changing to higher hz? If so, the cause could be the ASUS adapter not giving enough power to my monitor? In that case, is this the reason why the pixel line issue disappears when having 144hz since less power is needed then?

When it comes to the docking station, I have Dell WD19 K20A001 docking station. Has it damaged my monitor with the time? Is this the cause of the pixel line issue? To make it more clear: I have used my monitor with my stationary computer, but also with my laptop for my work when I worked from home. So it is here the docking station comes in to the picture since I needed to use it to be able to connect my monitor to my laptop for work. First time when I used the docking station and my monitor together, I tried to use 200hz or 240hz. Then I got colored static white noise effect (like TVs get when there is no signal). Therefore I immediately changed to lower hz since it did not work with 200hz and 240hz (probably the docking station does not support 200hz and 240hz). However, I could not see this colored static white noise effect when I switched to 144hz and therefore I have been using 144hz all the time since I have been working at home. Or to be more precise: I used 144hz when I worked at the home, but after a working day I used 240hz when I used my stationary computer with my monitor. So I have been using the docking station and my monitor together with 144hz for 6 months without experiencing any issues (such as the pixel line issue). It is just now that I am getting this pixel line issue. I also want to mention that my colleagues at work have been using 144hz with same docking station model and they have not had any issues. Maybe some specific monitors are affected only when connecting to this Dell docking station?

Last edited: