Question playing old games on pc but my key codes no longer work?? they are on the manuals...

dj3642a

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2015
Hi all I have a question. I have some old games I wanted to try playing again. Some of them go back to like 2006.. so you know they came with a key code on the manuals. I still have all my manuals for the games so I know the codes are valid.. BUT.. I am guessing the companies who validated those before you could use them. No longer do that. So it seems I have all these games that are now telling me. “Key code invalid” or something similar. I know they are valid as I am looking at my manuals. Is there a way I can still play some of them or do I toss them.. it would be a shame. I had one game giving me that error. And found it on steam. I explained to steam about my code and they told me I would have to buy the game again. LOL even if I have all the install CD’s and code I am supposed to buy them again?? Is there a way to still play them.. ??

If they are games that unlocked over the internet then you spend the key when you did the first unlock,the key got married to the game installation of your old hardware.

You can try and contact the publisher of each game and see what can be done.
A lot of EA games you can still activate on origin with the CD code, same for blizzard games,I registered my old copy of diablo II on battlenet just last year.

Also try entering the one game's code directly into steam to see if it activates.

But if your games require some internet service that doesn't exist anymore then there is nothing legal you can do.

dj3642a

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2015
If they are games that unlocked over the internet then you spend the key when you did the first unlock,the key got married to the game installation of your old hardware.

You can try and contact the publisher of each game and see what can be done.
A lot of EA games you can still activate on origin with the CD code, same for blizzard games,I registered my old copy of diablo II on battlenet just last year.

Also try entering the one game's code directly into steam to see if it activates.

But if your games require some internet service that doesn't exist anymore then there is nothing legal you can do.

ok i will try it again. i think i tried doing it on steam.. so for origin. if i find the game. .. how do i use my code.. do i choose add a non origin game or what??.. never mind. my old call of duty 2 is not listed there.. it was only on steam i found it. ..its crazy that if i want to play that old game again it will cost me 20 dollars to do it. geez.. i have already tried i think it was activision and they dont bother to reply.. this is nuts..

dj3642a

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2015
Activision joined with blizzard,you would have better chances trying activating your code with blizzard.

i tried registering with blizzard.. and i was stuck in a perpetual loop.. cruel.. i filled out all info on registry page .. clicked on create account and it blanked it out over and over and i had to redo LOL i finally gave up.

dj3642a

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2015
That's usually because the password doesn't meet the requirements.

it did.. it took that part just fine. after that you have to do a picture thing to prove you are not a robot. i passed that too.. then it all blanked out and made me start over.. i actually somehow finally got through using the same password i had used all along. but when you go to write them. you had to choose a game.. mine wasnt there so i chose another COD game just to get a ticket in. and then it tells me solutions to make THAT one work. you cant really write anyone or just get a ticket in for a response.. todays customer service is NOT.. i will try activision again. i cant be the only person who has this issue.. i simply want to play old games that are mine. i would like to find a way to crack it .. because doing it the RIGHT way doesnt exist..