[SOLVED] Please Critique my build. What brands or components should I changed or replaced?

Senna El

Commendable
Jul 25, 2020
So I.m going to build my second PC Gaming next month. And I really need inputs. Please share your thoughts and opinions. Your thoughts and inputs are greatly appreciated. Which parts or brands should I replaced or changed ? Or this is good enough ? I'm looking to play some demanding graphics game such as The Witcher 3, Hitman 2 or Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Here is my thought on the components and Specs:

Processor : Intel Core i7-10700
Motherboard : MSI MAG B460 Tomahawk (LGA1200, B460, DDR4, USB3.2, SATA3)
RAM : ADATA DDR4 XPG SPECTRIX D41 GREY PC24000 3000MHz 32GB (2X16GB) Dual Channel - RGB
SSD : Samsung SSD 970 EVO PLUS M.2 500GB MZ-V7S500BW - 5 years warranty.
Casing : PRIME K-[F] - PREMIUM GAMING CASE 0.7mm STEEL
CPU Cooler : PRIME POLAR 240T Water Cooling 240mm Radiator - Leak Proof - ARGB - Aura Sync
PSU : Antec NeoECO GOLD ZEN 700W NE700G ZEN - 80+ Gold Certified - 5 Years Warranty Replacement
VGA Card : Asus GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB DDR6 - Dual EVO OC
Network Adapter : TP - Link 300M Wireless N PCI-Express Adapter, 2 Anthena Detachable - WN881ND

Thank You.

Last edited:
Solution
PSU: I don't know much about it. I can't find a teardown review. From what I can find it is manufactured by Seasonic. The quality is likely at least passable. Better than something like a Raidmax. But given the price of the other components. I'd want something I know is good. I know PSU prices are really high right now. Unfortunately that's the way things are.
  • Corsair TX-M, RMx (2018 or earlier preferred)
  • EVGA G2/G3/G5 (G5 had a quality drop, It's still good but the G2/G3 series are better)
  • Seasonic Focus/Focus Plus Gold (There are some new Focus Gold lines, I haven't seen reviews for them yet. They are supposed to have just fixed a minor issue with the Focus Plus Gold)

Network Adapter: I'd want something which is at...
PSU: I don't know much about it. I can't find a teardown review. From what I can find it is manufactured by Seasonic. The quality is likely at least passable. Better than something like a Raidmax. But given the price of the other components. I'd want something I know is good. I know PSU prices are really high right now. Unfortunately that's the way things are.
  • EVGA G2/G3/G5 (G5 had a quality drop, It's still good but the G2/G3 series are better)
  • Seasonic Focus/Focus Plus Gold (There are some new Focus Gold lines, I haven't seen reviews for them yet. They are supposed to have just fixed a minor issue with the Focus Plus Gold)

Network Adapter: I'd want something which is at least 802.11ac if not ax. The detachable antennae is nice. It's probably cheaper to get a different motherboard with built in 802.11ac.

CPU Cooler: I'd stick with the known brands. Such as Corsair or Thermaltake for liquid cooling. If price is an issue go with big air cooling. The Scythe Mugen 5 or Thermalright Macho Direct are plenty.

SSD: The 970 Evo is superb. I'd also look at the HP EX 950 if you want to save some money.

RAM: It's either made by Hynix, Samsung or Micron. So, it's likely perfectly fine.

GPU: RTX 3000 series is expected soon.

Reactions: Senna El
Solution

Senna El

Commendable
Jul 25, 2020
Network Adapter: I'd want something which is at least 802.11ac if not ax. The detachable antennae is nice. It's probably cheaper to get a different motherboard with built in 802.11ac.

CPU Cooler: I'd stick with the known brands. Such as Corsair or Thermaltake for liquid cooling. If price is an issue go with big air cooling. The Scythe Mugen 5 or Thermalright Macho Direct are plenty.

SSD: The 970 Evo is superb. I'd also look at the HP EX 950 if you want to save some money.

RAM: It's either made by Hynix, Samsung or Micron. So, it's likely perfectly fine.

GPU: RTX 3000 series is expected soon.
Well I have $2000 to spend for this build so I will consider your inputs greatly, this is a good inputs. I did doubts my choice of PSU and cooler tho. Maybe I'll take the Corsair Hydro Series H100i Platinum Pro for cooler, $100 difference tho. The OEM for Antec is indeed Seasonic. But to be safe I'll consider your suggestion for Seasonic Focus Gold, only $35 price difference here. The GPU is most likely outside the range of my budget for 3000 series lol. Is the motherboard good enough? Do you have any recommended brands for Motherboards? Thank you so much for this input dude, you're awesome.

The neoeco gold zen is made by andyson, the neoeco gold pro us made by seasonic, albeit slightly cut down. The gold zen is alright, the ripple and load regulation is pretty good as well, from the looks of it they did use cheaper components, but not CHEAP cheap, just more inexpensive quality components. But an adyson unit is still made by andyson, so I'd look elsewhere. Here's a review in korean (use google translate)

Unless you're transferring a bunch of video files all the time, you'll never notice the speed of the 970 evo over any other nvme drive, you may experience 0.1 sec improvement in game load time. So I'd rather opt for an inexpensive 1tb nvme instead like a intel 665/660p.

The motherboard will cap you at 2933Mhz for ram, but since you chose a 10700 non-k, it shouldn't matter much.

I had that tp-link before, it's terribad lol. Soon after I switched to powerline adapters and haven't looked back.

Senna El

Commendable
Jul 25, 2020
The neoeco gold zen is made by andyson, the neoeco gold pro us made by seasonic, albeit slightly cut down. The gold zen is alright, the ripple and load regulation is pretty good as well, from the looks of it they did use cheaper components, but not CHEAP cheap, just more inexpensive quality components. But an adyson unit is still made by andyson, so I'd look elsewhere. Here's a review in korean (use google translate)

Unless you're transferring a bunch of video files all the time, you'll never notice the speed of the 970 evo over any other nvme drive, you may experience 0.1 sec improvement in game load time. So I'd rather opt for an inexpensive 1tb nvme instead like a intel 665/660p.

The motherboard will cap you at 2933Mhz for ram, but since you chose a 10700 non-k, it shouldn't matter much.

I had that tp-link before, it's terribad lol. Soon after I switched to powerline adapters and haven't looked back.
Lol. I did choose that PSU by price first, didn't research it enough, my bad. Thought they were the same thing. Ahh if I happened to choose the 10700K should I change my Mobo then? Still got some budget left. As for the tp-link I'm not worried, I used ethernet line most of the times. Thank you man.

Last edited:
Lol. I did choose that PSU by price first, didn't research it enough, my bad. Thought they were the same thing. Ahh if I happened to choose the 10700K should I change my Mobo then? Still got some budget left. As for the tp-link I'm not worried, I used ethernet line most of the times. Thank you man.
Well, the 10700k is quite a bit more expensive. To really benefit from it, you would need to get faster ram(3600Mhz cl16) and a z490 board, any of them will work except the asrock pro and extreme 4 and gigabyte ud, those three overheat like mad. Even with both those upgrades, if you don't overclock, the fps benefits won't be too drastic, maybe 5 fps.

TBH, I'd just get z490 board with the 10700 non-k. The performance difference between the 10700k and 10700 isn't big enough.