Question Please help me i have an alienware aurora r12 with an intel i7 11th gen kf and an rtx 3080 and when i overclock my cpu speed does not change

Apr 24, 2022
i have tried all the bios settings and even normal settings but nothing works and it can not be overthroteling because i have 70 degrees celcius at max and when i try to stres test my cpu speed drops i tried to overclock it to 5ghz what can i do?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
If it isn't temp throttle, it could be voltage throttle. Take a look at some of the reviews of that system. IIRC, TechYesCity as well as Gamers Nexus did several reviews of the system as they came and with improvements. I want to say TYC did one where they changed the CPU to a higher skew and ran into similar problems.

I have just read that the motherboard BIOS on your system is not very good and does not give many options. Furthermore the VRM is not great and nor is the cooling so that maybe why you are having issues. In fact most likely. Sadly Dell/Alienware tend to have custom motherboards and if you have a 120mm AIO cooling your CPU, that too is going to limit the overclock.

In the BIOS load optimised defaults and set XMP.
Download and run Hardware Info and Cinebench R23. Use Hardware Info for baseline temps and max boost speeds. Find out what idle temps are and then what max temps are when running Cinebench R23 multi-core test. Also find out what max boost clock is.

Then go back into BIOS and set:

1. Set OC - Level 2 in bios
  2. Set XMP 1
Also ALWAYS make sure XMP is set and Resizable Bar enabled. Do not use the Overclocking software in Windows. Overclock from the BIOS.

More info on this thread:
https://www.dell.com/community/Alie...verclocked-crashing-while-gaming/td-p/7856810

i have tried all the bios settings and even normal settings but nothing works and it can not be overthroteling because i have 70 degrees celcius at max and when i try to stres test my cpu speed drops i tried to overclock it to 5ghz what can i do?
Alienware cases are some of the worst from a thermal design standpoint. Poor/overheated VRMs, CPU/GPU cooling, and motherboard options will be your limiting factor.

I suggest you run some CPU intensive tasks, at stock speed, while monitoring your CPU frequency, before you do ANY type of overclocking. Your system is most likely ALREADY downclocking due to voltage instability or temps.

Reactions: Phaaze88