[SOLVED] Please help, my PC turns on then off...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 31, 2019
Hello all...

I just recently built a new PC and it has problem turning on and off RANDOMELY

I did some googling and read some threads including ones here, but they all seem to be about cases where it doesn't turn on at all.

For me, it's random and intermittent. about 4/5 times, it turns on, and once it's on, it runs totally fine, and doesn't turn off on its own.

I just don't understand why in that 1/5 times it turns on and then off. I'm scared that there's some malfunctioning parts or short in there somewhere that's going to roast my parts and make it non-functional......

I already tried cleaning the GPU and Memory(RAM) metal parts with an eraser, and tested my memory with memtest86 which showed no error after over 50 minutes, tried prime95 too, but I had to stop prematurely since I don't have enough cooler fans to keep the temperature under control.

I got so scared, I got a different PSU and it still has the problem....so less likely it's the PSU....

as puzzled and clueless as I am at this point, I'm wondering if there is anything wrong with either the way I assembled the parts, or something wrong with the case? especially the power switch and its cable?

Here's a video of what happens...sorry it's little dark and hard to see.

Memtest86 pic View: https://imgur.com/uMR6mwO

View: https://youtu.be/ZxEaqFoFGWY

My spec is
CPU Ryzen 7 2700x
Mobo b450 Gigabyte Aorus Elite
Memory Samsung 21300 16gb
GPU MSI gtx 1660 Ventus XS (not ti)
SSD Samsung Evo 860 500g
PSU Seasonic Focus Gold 650W

I also noticed that when the turn off happens, the eagle picture on the mobo stays lit up like
View: https://youtu.be/4wj5RgH6ZAs
, not sure what that means

Last edited:
Solution
After you follow all of the steps given above, to include a Malware scan using first Adwcleaner (right click & run as Administrator) then clean anything found, it's a fast scan. Then install Malwarebytes (free version, 14 day Premium Trial) & after updating, run a full (Custom) scan. Be sure to check the option to scan for rootkits.

Also, when removing the hardware from the computer for testing, did you remove and reseat the CPU? Sometimes these may not be seated perfectly & cause memory errors. As others has mentioned, it's best to build the PC on top of it's box when there's errors that can't be otherwise found & by that, this will mean removing & reinstalling every component, one by one. I always assemble as much of the PC as...

Flouro Flibboflasm

Commendable
Feb 23, 2017
I see that you are still dealing with this one. There have been a ton of great replies so I won't give anything technical that hasn't already been covered.

The point here is that eventually all of us eventually encounter a real **** of an issue like this and eventually break through. Keep banging away and you will get there.

Good luck!

Reactions: Joseph J
Jul 31, 2019
Yes - it was an example :-D O.K ...

so gigabyte doesn't list your memory as being compatible... and the system builder site doesn't either ... so what operating system and version do you have?

if you have win 10 - check the memory graph in the resource monitor - if the memory is all the way up , and the cpu graph is all the way low - YOU KNOW for sure is a memory issue

The link you sent says..."
  • Make sure this fits by entering your model number.
  • Total Capacity: 16GB
  • Form Factor: 288PIN DIMM
  • Specs: DDR4 PC4-21300 ,CL=19 ,Unbuffered ,NON-ECC ,DDR4-2666 ,1.2V
  • Speed: 2666 MHz
  • Lifetime warranty
"

where it says MAKES SURE THIS FITS ...did it? :oops::oops:
at the moment just with whole bunch of websites on, I see 5-15% CPU usage, around 40% memory....does it mean my memory is defective? or incompatible?

the board and the memory are both DDR4, and thus, it fits into the slot very well physically....

Jul 31, 2019
I see that you are still dealing with this one. There have been a ton of great replies so I won't give anything technical that hasn't already been covered.

The point here is that eventually all of us eventually encounter a real **** of an issue like this and eventually break through. Keep banging away and you will get there.

Good luck!
It's so difficult not knowing what the problem is, so frustrating...such a pain. I appreciate all the good words and advises, hope I find something to solve it eventually.

Jul 31, 2019
this problem arrives when the laptop or PC heated. when you start your PC or Laptop then it automatically off after few minutes
These problems also arrives due to software issues like viruses. In this case your system reboot automatically.
Motherboard is also issue where faulty circuit or bad components can cause the laptop to off and not turn on. Spam link removed by mod

for me it's only few SECONDS. if it doesn't turn off within 10 seconds, it turns on and functions just fine, no problem at all. It doesn't reboot automatically at all. Mine is a desktop and it only happens when I first turn it on, so it hasn't had time to accumulate heat at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

rugupiruvu

Reputable
Apr 4, 2019
Motherboards like those of ASRock when power is cutoff and capacitors get discharged, next time you turn on the PC it charges the capacitors, but turns off to prevent exerting the capacitors before they are fully charged, extending their lifetime.

Jul 31, 2019
Motherboards like those of ASRock when power is cutoff and capacitors get discharged, next time you turn on the PC it charges the capacitors, but turns off to prevent exerting the capacitors before they are fully charged, extending their lifetime.

I have a Gigabyte one, so is it normal and non-damaging to the board to turn off while trying to turn on so that it can charge power up again? is it supposed to happen even when the power has been pluged the whole time it was off?

Aug 2, 2019
Hi Sorry I was out - Dude your memory is not compatible.

GA-B450 AORUS ELITE

the memory you have is Samsung 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666MHZ, 288 PIN DIMM, 1.2V, CL 19 desktop ram memory module

IT IS NOT COMPATIBLE!! gigabyte and pretty much every site you have visited has stated the same thing.

Flouro Flibboflasm

Commendable
Feb 23, 2017
at the moment just with whole bunch of websites on, I see 5-15% CPU usage, around 40% memory....does it mean my memory is defective? or incompatible?

the board and the memory are both DDR4, and thus, it fits into the slot very well physically....

This probably won't directly solve your PITA issue- but that CPU vs memory ratio for some open tabs is the signature of a multi-process browser- most likely Chrome.

I advocate Pale Moon- perhaps the only remaining single threaded truly open source browser. By going single threaded I can keep hundreds- even thousands of tabs open as my work requires(back up to 725 at the moment.)

Basically, this answer won't directly solve the problem. It is more likely one thing to rule out.

Jul 28, 2019
Hello all...

I just recently built a new PC and it has problem turning on and off RANDOMELY

I did some googling and read some threads including ones here, but they all seem to be about cases where it doesn't turn on at all.

For me, it's random and intermittent. about 4/5 times, it turns on, and once it's on, it runs totally fine, and doesn't turn off on its own.

I just don't understand why in that 1/5 times it turns on and then off. I'm scared that there's some malfunctioning parts or short in there somewhere that's going to roast my parts and make it non-functional......

I already tried cleaning the GPU and Memory(RAM) metal parts with an eraser, and tested my memory with memtest86 which showed no error after over 50 minutes, tried prime95 too, but I had to stop prematurely since I don't have enough cooler fans to keep the temperature under control.

I got so scared, I got a different PSU and it still has the problem....so less likely it's the PSU....

as puzzled and clueless as I am at this point, I'm wondering if there is anything wrong with either the way I assembled the parts, or something wrong with the case? especially the power switch and its cable?

Here's a video of what happens...sorry it's little dark and hard to see.

Memtest86 pic View: https://imgur.com/uMR6mwO

View: https://youtu.be/ZxEaqFoFGWY

My spec is
CPU Ryzen 7 2700x
Mobo b450 Gigabyte Aorus Elite
Memory Samsung 21300 16gb
GPU MSI gtx 1660 Ventus XS (not ti)
SSD Samsung Evo 860 500g
PSU Seasonic Focus Gold 650W

I also noticed that when the turn off happens, the eagle picture on the mobo stays lit up like
View: https://youtu.be/4wj5RgH6ZAs
, not sure what that means
Did you OC that Ram? Because if you have done that maybe there is your issue. Set it to 2133 and try to boot again.

counter8

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015
Your huge chance to resolve this problem can be a BIOS update. You can find the update on official site of your mobo: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

(If you dont know how to update bios go by my instructions)

Identify your current bios version
- Click on Start, choose Run and type in msinfo32. This will bring up the Windows System information dialog box. (In the System Summary section, you should see an item called BIOS Version/Date. Now you know the current version of your BIOS.)

So tell me which BIOS version you have and your OS.

counter8

Reputable
Aug 23, 2015
Hi Sorry I was out - Dude your memory is not compatible.

GA-B450 AORUS ELITE

the memory you have is Samsung 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666MHZ, 288 PIN DIMM, 1.2V, CL 19 desktop ram memory module

IT IS NOT COMPATIBLE!! gigabyte and pretty much every site you have visited has stated the same thing.
I was checking gigabyte site and RAM is not listed in compatible list, however manufacturer cant afford to test every model of RAM, so that is not a case. He can run PC 4/5 times so problem is not here.

Jul 31, 2019
This probably won't directly solve your PITA issue- but that CPU vs memory ratio for some open tabs is the signature of a multi-process browser- most likely Chrome.

I advocate Pale Moon- perhaps the only remaining single threaded truly open source browser. By going single threaded I can keep hundreds- even thousands of tabs open as my work requires(back up to 725 at the moment.)

Basically, this answer won't directly solve the problem. It is more likely one thing to rule out.

Yeah I was using chrome, would using a different browser fix booting related issue though?

Jul 31, 2019
Your huge chance to resolve this problem can be a BIOS update. You can find the update on official site of your mobo: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

(If you dont know how to update bios go by my instructions)

Identify your current bios version
- Click on Start, choose Run and type in msinfo32. This will bring up the Windows System information dialog box. (In the System Summary section, you should see an item called BIOS Version/Date. Now you know the current version of your BIOS.)

So tell me which BIOS version you have and your OS.
My OS is Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and BIOS is American Megatrends Inc F5, probably not up to date. Someone else said not to update, not sure which is right.

Jul 31, 2019
Hello all, I REALLY STRONGLY suspect the case to be the issue now even more, I had an interesting occurrence this morning, where the PC's BEEN on, and the same turn off happened the moment I plugged my videogaming arcade stick on my usb…..

then it tried to boot, and turn off when I put my hand on top of the case, and the same thing too when I switch USB ports too. Strange.

I really suspect either a short within the case near where the power switch is, or some loose cable or something

Here's a video of it.
View: https://youtu.be/c332t1Xq8gQ

notice at 10s and 19s, and 42 I put my hand on top of the case, I DIDN'T press the power button. at 29s I switched USB cable. It turned on normally and I'm posting on the PC after I pressed the power button.

solo_2101

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
How far along in the boot process does it get when it dies? Does it make it far enough such that some entries might make it in to event viewer and shed some light on what happened? After a power loss and then a subsequent successful boot check event viewer to see if anything weird shows up in there

Good point suggesting the event viewer. Troubleshooting for many years I have seen many techs not benefiting from this awesome tool (event viewer and other log tools), usually because "they know better". It could have save many headaches and hours of frustrations.

Flouro Flibboflasm

Commendable
Feb 23, 2017
Yeah I was using chrome, would using a different browser fix booting related issue though?

PM can get the memory hogging down to size- but it probably has next to nothing to do with the random reboots unfortunately.

EDIT: Has anybody asked if you are running that **** Windows 10 yet? With all of it's insane disruptive updates vs. incalculable environments; don't rule that one out.

If so, Have you tried putting a more stable OS such as W7, W8, Linux... on it and see if the problem remains?

Jul 31, 2019
Good point suggesting the event viewer. Troubleshooting for many years I have seen many techs not benefiting from this awesome tool (event viewer and other log tools), usually because "they know better". It could have save many headaches and hours of frustrations.

not exactly sure what too look for, I would've searched if there were other people that have same symptoms do it, but I haven't found anyone that has the same symptom.

Jul 31, 2019
PM can get the memory hogging down to size- but it probably has next to nothing to do with the random reboots unfortunately.

EDIT: Has anybody asked if you are running that **** Windows 10 yet? With all of it's insane disruptive updates vs. incalculable environments; don't rule that one out.

If so, Have you tried putting a more stable OS such as W7, W8, Linux... on it and see if the problem remains?

I've used windows 10 for many years, but this is the first time I have this issue.

Flouro Flibboflasm

Commendable
Feb 23, 2017
I've used windows 10 for many years, but this is the first time I have this issue.

With those endless updates some have experienced things that others don't. There could be endless hardware and software variations that could trigger the strangest reactions.

My recent ex had a W10 laptop and with some bad updates had to do a total reinstall. My main rig has several OSes with 10 in a VM. It got the exact same update batch and nothing(on the surface) seemed to happen.

Again, this isn't a sure cause of the issues. It is possible that it isn't hardware at all. It is possible that it is software.

EDIT: [W10 bashing] Strangely enough, my main OS is a highly modified(lots of Classic Shell) W8.1 that functions like a smoother and updated version of the beloved W7. Once the stupidity like tiles are removed and reskinned I strongly recommend 8.1 as a base OS.

I always loved W7 and in many ways consider it their masterpiece during it's days. With a modified 8.1 it is possible to get the 7 goodness- and more.

10 is much more difficult to rescue and effectively turn back into 7. Classic Shell is abandownware and who can blame the author? Keeping up with 10's updates (IMO harrasment) and trying keep it stable, shut down the spying, keep the tiles, Cortana... away IMO is just not worth having to constantly worry about what they did now...

Plus with day-to-day flow I find that 7 was the best. 8 was almost as good and 10 is a royal chore- especially for beginners. Simple things like menu placement are underrated factors. Sometimes when trying to be trendy and "cutting edge" corporations sometimes introduce needless disruption to things that were already working.

With 7 IMO things were well laid out and the average person could find things and just go about their business. I have no idea how the hardcore IT types feel about that one though.

Disclosure: I run an up and coming business that helps average people with their tech- the kinds of folks who would rarely come to a forum such as this.

100% of them who got stuck with 10 had no idea of what they were getting themselves into and hate it. I have had multiple folks roll back to 7/8, dual boot/add other OSes in VMs or even take the Linux plunge. No Mac switches yet though.

These all were average users who figured a computer was a computer and Windows was Windows. None of them were the types would ever previously consider switching/dual booting/VMs.... They probably had never even heard those kinds of terms- or would panic at the sound of such big words- Until they got that **** 10!

[End 10 bashing.]

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2019
With those endless updates some have experienced things that others don't. There could be endless hardware and software variations that could trigger the strangest reactions.

My recent ex had a W10 laptop and with some bad updates had to do a total reinstall. My main rig has several OSes with 10 in a VM. It got the exact same update batch and nothing(on the surface) seemed to happen.

Again, this isn't a sure cause of the issues. It is possible that it isn't hardware at all. It is possible that it is software.

I strongly doubt at this point it's case related, as the symptom was reproduced when plugging usb on port right next to the power button, and even lightly pressing down on top of the case next to the power button... https://youtu.be/c332t1Xq8gQ

TRENDING THREADS