[SOLVED] Please help, my PC turns on then off...

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 31, 2019
Hello all...

I just recently built a new PC and it has problem turning on and off RANDOMELY

I did some googling and read some threads including ones here, but they all seem to be about cases where it doesn't turn on at all.

For me, it's random and intermittent. about 4/5 times, it turns on, and once it's on, it runs totally fine, and doesn't turn off on its own.

I just don't understand why in that 1/5 times it turns on and then off. I'm scared that there's some malfunctioning parts or short in there somewhere that's going to roast my parts and make it non-functional......

I already tried cleaning the GPU and Memory(RAM) metal parts with an eraser, and tested my memory with memtest86 which showed no error after over 50 minutes, tried prime95 too, but I had to stop prematurely since I don't have enough cooler fans to keep the temperature under control.

I got so scared, I got a different PSU and it still has the problem....so less likely it's the PSU....

as puzzled and clueless as I am at this point, I'm wondering if there is anything wrong with either the way I assembled the parts, or something wrong with the case? especially the power switch and its cable?

Here's a video of what happens...sorry it's little dark and hard to see.

Memtest86 pic View: https://imgur.com/uMR6mwO

View: https://youtu.be/ZxEaqFoFGWY

My spec is
CPU Ryzen 7 2700x
Mobo b450 Gigabyte Aorus Elite
Memory Samsung 21300 16gb
GPU MSI gtx 1660 Ventus XS (not ti)
SSD Samsung Evo 860 500g
PSU Seasonic Focus Gold 650W

I also noticed that when the turn off happens, the eagle picture on the mobo stays lit up like
View: https://youtu.be/4wj5RgH6ZAs
, not sure what that means

Last edited:
Solution
After you follow all of the steps given above, to include a Malware scan using first Adwcleaner (right click & run as Administrator) then clean anything found, it's a fast scan. Then install Malwarebytes (free version, 14 day Premium Trial) & after updating, run a full (Custom) scan. Be sure to check the option to scan for rootkits.

Also, when removing the hardware from the computer for testing, did you remove and reseat the CPU? Sometimes these may not be seated perfectly & cause memory errors. As others has mentioned, it's best to build the PC on top of it's box when there's errors that can't be otherwise found & by that, this will mean removing & reinstalling every component, one by one. I always assemble as much of the PC as...
Jul 31, 2019
Unplug all cables, cards etc. Only leave power supply connected, CPU and RAM. Boot into bios. Leave it for a short time and see if it powers down. Push down on the case aswell. See if it powers down.

I could still get a false negative. I've gone like a week without the booting issue before. This is so difficult to eliminate and diagnose because of that.

Jul 24, 2019
I could still get a false negative. I've gone like a week without the booting issue before. This is so difficult to eliminate and diagnose because of that.

If the PC stays on then you know it could be one of your parts that is causing the issue...so then you put in the HDD or SSD, see if it stays on. If it does then you put in the PCI cards one by one and test...once it shutsdown go back to the last part you installed and remove it again then you try.

See i have the same issue...but i already found my problem and its my 24pin connecter on my motherboard.

Jul 31, 2019
If the PC stays on then you know it could be one of your parts that is causing the issue...so then you put in the HDD or SSD, see if it stays on. If it does then you put in the PCI cards one by one and test...once it shutsdown go back to the last part you installed and remove it again then you try.

See i have the same issue...but i already found my problem and its my 24pin connecter on my motherboard.

Once it turns on, it doesn't have problem staying on. It just need to get past first 5 seconds after button is pressed.

francis.kalots123

Commendable
Dec 25, 2018
I have a 650W Seasonic Focus Gold so it should be enough electricity. My previous EVGA PSU had the same problem, so it seems to be something else. I don't believe my CPU has an integrated graphics. I don't know how the error codes work, where am I supposed to see that?
There might be Beebs or number on motherboard screen. And you can check what it means on Google easily

Jul 31, 2019
Thank you all for your replies, I had suspicion that it was something about the case, probably the switch. I think I am right after several months, I noticed that occasionally when I press the button, a part of the button (on the edge) would be stuck inward, and I'd have to lightly rub the switch on the opposite end of the edge to get it un-stuck.

I think it seems that this symptom only occurs when this partial edge of the button is stuck. Once I started un-stucking in every time I turn it on, this symptom never happened for like three months now.

Though I'm surprised that the symptom differs from just turning off completely in that it still has that light on on the mobo, regardless, I found a way to keep this problem from coming back for three months. I feel better about this now.