Please help! No display on monitor

docta13

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
So over the last few days I've run into a troublesome problem with my desktop, and was hoping I could your opinions as to what the problem may be.

I had the computer on and everything was working fine, until I came back in the room and the monitor appeared to be in sleep mode (thinking this was normal). Now I can't get a picture to come back on the monitor at all. I never even see a BIOS screen, the monitor displays absolutely nothing. Here is what I have done to test, along with the results:

- Rebooted multiple times ---> monitor still appears to not connect with PC
- Tried booting into live OS from CD ---> monitor still appears to not connect with PC
- Booted and had speakers up to listen for sound of Windows starting ---> heard no sounds and still no display
- Connected monitor to VGA out port on my laptop ---> monitor worked fine

I've come to the point that I verified that the monitor is fully functional, so that can't be the problem. What worries me now is something internal is wrong with the desktop. Could it be a graphics card problem? Or something else since I don't even hear the Windows startup sounds when booting?

What you are describing does sound like you have a dead graphics card on your hands do you get the no signal check connections message on your monitor?
I have had a card die on me before and thought the same as you mine was under warranty at the time and the guy in the shop told me its to do with the boot sequence and as thecard is dud it boots that far and stops hence you wont hear the rest booting as it stops when it cant boot the card.
Mactronix

docta13

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
Yup, the "No Signal" text is on the monitor for a few brief seconds then it goes away and the LCD appears to go asleep.

It's a 4-year old desktop that is still pretty strong as far as up-to-date hardware. I'd like to attempt to fix it if it doesn't break my bank before looking at getting a new one. Should I bring it to a repair shop to have them further diagnose the problem? Or should I go with my gut and just swap the graphics card on my own?

It's a balance between paying too much at a shop, versus betting on it being a dead graphics card and doing that on my own. I've done everything on a PC but swap a video card. How can I go about telling what type I would need for a replacement in judging the right form factor and specs for my desktop?

Thanks!

Do you know what the mobo is/psu etc as you say you have done every thing but swap a graphics card you will be fine to do it its the easiest thing to do in one :)
All you need to do is make sure you know what you have AGP probably on a 4 year old one.
Tell us as much as you can about the system and we can go from there.
My thinking at the min is to get a cheap card from ebay to check the system out with then buy a decent card to see you through if the system is ok.
Its not going to hurt anything to try it and it will prob save you alot compared to taking it to the shop :)
Mactronix

docta13

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2007
by on-board graphics, you are referring to another external video port connected directly to the mobo, correct? I think I recall having one in addition to the one from the graphics card. I'll see when I get home.

If I remove the graphics card, should the on-board graphics port automatically activate since it is no longer being over-ridden by the graphics card?

The problem is we are somewhat in the dark as to what we are dealing with as you havent supplied any system specs.
You can try what you are sugesting it wont hurt anything but if you do have onboard graphics there is a chance that they have been disabled in the bios anyway.
There will be a lever under one end of the card you need to lift to let it come out of the slot DONT force it it may need a little wiggle but it should come out easily.
Mactronix