Please help!! the backplate wont come off!

okini55

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
Hello people!

So I bought a cooler master plus 212 cpu cooler for my acer m7720 that has a core i7 920 but the old CPU cooler backplate wont come off no matter what I tried since its glued to the mobo. I tried everything, I tried to heat it up with a hair drier and pull it off with a screw driver and a knife and everything, I probably even damaged the motherboard itself and still the god damn backplate just wont come off. What to do? THis is really frustrating.

Thanks

Lutfij

Titan
can you take a pic of the mobo backplate and post back here...have a cold coke can next to you when you're working with such issues...i feel that this usually helps.

BTW how dya know you damaged the mobo?

okini55

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009

I tried but it does not work :(

okini55

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009

I got frustrated and pissed so I used way too much force and I used the hair drier a bit too much so I can even see the damages on the mobo. Ok im not 100% sure its not working since ive not tried it. The ones we have at my IT school are even in worse shape and most of them works but still im pretty sure I damaged it.

Lutfij

Titan
is this the innards of your case?

dscf4117tx1.jpg

i think the backplate is not stuck with a glue of some sort...i think its stuck via a horrible sticky tape.

okini55

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009

yes thats it, but I dont mean the back plate itself, just the cpu fan backplate thing. I could get the motherboard off. BUt yeah its deffinetly stuck. And what sucks even more is that I bought loads of new components and now none will work. I just bought a GTX 550 ti, 500W PSU and a new HDD along with the cooler and now I want be able to use any of them :(

Lutfij

Titan
....pays to do a lil bit of research before walking into the dark forest on your own :/

i can't say we can do anything from this end. Though you could get another mobo to replace the current one. But at the end of the day, replacing the mobo might be equivalent to getting a new build.

okini55

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009

yeah :( I might just get myself a new mobo and a case. But that would just suck cos then my new hardware would just lay around unused for months :( . Well anyways thanks for the help.

okini55

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009

it is the backplate on the rear of the motherboard thats needed in order to attach the cpu cooler yeah.

/wipes bead of sweat :)
Cool, had to check you werent referring to the heatsink as the backplate hehe
If you are getting a new mobo, I'd just say dont remove any sticky pad tabs or you'll have the same issue again when you want to take that one off
Moto