[SOLVED] Please help, very weird stuttering.

Feb 12, 2023
I've had a weird stutter since building my pc. I have tried everything I could possibly think of wether it be Reseating and replugging everything, uninstalling drivers and reinstalling windows. Someone please help as I am going insane.

Specs -
● RTX 4090 Gigabyte 24gb gaming OC
●I9-13900k
●2x 970 Samsung Evo plus M.2 Nvme SSDs
●Asus ROG Z-690f Wifi
●x2 16 GB Team group T-Force Delta RGB DDR5 6400mhz
● Corsaie Rme series 1000e 80 plus Gold modular PSU
●Corsair ICEU H150i CPU Pump

I have proper cooling throughout my pc as nothing ever thermal throttles. The stuttering happens in-game and out of game, doesn't show up on benchmarks and FPS Counters, and only when I move the mouse (Already replaced the mouse, didn't work). Someone please help me I can't figure this out.

Solution
What's the resolution and refresh rate of your monitor and of the other you tried?

Skipping frames on desktop strikes me as odd so not sure if it's appropriate to suggest vsync but if the other monitor was smoother and that happened to have higher refresh rate then maybe. But you'd have to set maximum refresh though, it isn't usually automatic so you would've noticed.

Try vsync on in game anyhow. For a 4090, capable of outputting high level of frames, even 144Hz 1440p screen would show micro stutter if it didn't have some sort of sync to sync frames to monitor. Like Gsync, but this also needs vsync enabled to keep fps in Gsync range if graphics card is capable of doing higher. Fps over maximum refresh (Hz) can cause jittery look. But...
Feb 12, 2023
Feb 12, 2023
I suppose symptoms could be different but we'll start there for now. Regarding Windows 10, although problem could be something else entirely, as of right now, it could've been associated with how Windows 10 schedules efficiency cores. So possibly trading one problem for another.

https://www.intel.com.au/content/ww...0088749/processors/intel-core-processors.html
Alright I checked my power settings and everything seemed to be fine. It was on maximum performance and no eco mode.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Was worth an early shot. Now, you're gonna have to explain the best you can the kind of stutter you're experiencing like where and when it happens and what it looks like. Try be specific because stutter is a broad term.

Elaborate on drivers installed and if used any 3rd party booster programs which are bad. Check background usage in task manager and startup items. Troubleshooting steps to narrow down software.

How are you monitoring cpu temps? I like to use Core Temp for it's simpleness to monitor.

I encourage anyone else to join in.

Feb 12, 2023
Was worth an early shot. Now, you're gonna have to explain the best you can the kind of stutter you're experiencing like where and when it happens and what it looks like. Try be specific because stutter is a broad term.

Elaborate on drivers installed and if used any 3rd party booster programs which are bad. Check background usage in task manager and startup items. Troubleshooting steps to narrow down software.

How are you monitoring cpu temps? I like to use Core Temp for it's simpleness to monitor.

I encourage anyone else to join in.
Haven't used any 3rd party programs to boost my PC, I usually just avoid those in general and stick to stock settings unless I wanna use MSI afterburner.

The drivers I installed were all just usual ones I've done such as chipset, Video and audio drivers and such. I am using core temp as well and at idle am at usually 33°c and after a benchmark dont usually break 65-70°c.

The stutter just seems to happen in General wether it be sitting at windows, or going to play a game, I just get this weird stutter as it seems like it skips a frame or two. It doesn't seem to happen if I dont touch my mouse or keyboard, but I've already gone and replaced them with still no fix. The stutter also doesn't show on benchmarks as I am not touching the mouse during them, and also won't show up on FPS counters such a Riva and Steam, they stay at a 144 fps cap, even when the stutter happens.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe Latencymon might show something. I haven't used the program for myself but am aware of it. Description of it below.

Regarding your graphics card and the 16pin connector, is that touching side of the case by any chance? There are reported issues of improper contact with some of the connector pins if it's up against the side panel due to pressure. See if removing pressure on plug by opening case helps at all.

There are angled adapters on the way, if this may be the case. It might not be the reason for your stutters but fyi.

Feb 12, 2023
Maybe Latencymon might show something. I haven't used the program for myself but am aware of it. Description of it below.

Regarding your graphics card and the 16pin connector, is that touching side of the case by any chance? There are reported issues of improper contact with some of the connector pins if it's up against the side panel due to pressure. See if removing pressure on plug by opening case helps at all.

There are angled adapters on the way, if this may be the case. It might not be the reason for your stutters but fyi.

Thankfully no pressure against the 16pin connector so It doesn't seem to be that.
I did try swapping monitors and seeing if there's a chance that it may be my monitor is frameskipping, and it did feel smoother, but I have no idea if its just in my head, or why my monitor of 2 years would start frame skipping.

I ran latencymon and it always pops up with an Nvidia program being high latency, so Im wondering if that may or may not be the problem.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What's the resolution and refresh rate of your monitor and of the other you tried?

Skipping frames on desktop strikes me as odd so not sure if it's appropriate to suggest vsync but if the other monitor was smoother and that happened to have higher refresh rate then maybe. But you'd have to set maximum refresh though, it isn't usually automatic so you would've noticed.

Try vsync on in game anyhow. For a 4090, capable of outputting high level of frames, even 144Hz 1440p screen would show micro stutter if it didn't have some sort of sync to sync frames to monitor. Like Gsync, but this also needs vsync enabled to keep fps in Gsync range if graphics card is capable of doing higher. Fps over maximum refresh (Hz) can cause jittery look. But on desktop though, it shouldn't be a problem and im kinda reluctant to suggest syncing issue. Could be.

Reactions: Athenaas
Solution
Feb 12, 2023

Try vsync on in game anyhow. For a 4090, capable of outputting high level of frames, even 144Hz 1440p screen would show micro stutter if it didn't have some sort of sync to sync frames to monitor. Like Gsync, but this also needs vsync enabled to keep fps in Gsync range if graphics card is capable of doing higher. Fps over maximum refresh (Hz) can cause jittery look. But on desktop though, it shouldn't be a problem and im kinda reluctant to suggest syncing issue. Could be.
That helped with the choppiness, and I seemed to have figured out what the problem was, It seems I had not fully put in a psu cord. Last night I was in the middle of pulling cords out and trying them, and as I went to do the psu, one of the cords simply was not put in all the way till it clicked, so perhaps with it being loose it may have been causing instability. Everything seems to be fine now with no microstutters in games or windows. I really appreciate your help especially with helping figure out the choppiness!

Reactions: boju