PLEASE HELP! When Installing My GTX 960, No Signal Found on my monitor

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

InfernalPhantom

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
So I got a gtx 960 strix 4 gb and I installed it correctly with the 6 pin connected. I plug in it into my monitor (via VGA with the VGA-DVI converter) and power the system, no post beeps and every fan is spinning EVEN the video card's. However the monitor does not get a signal. (Btw my old video card recognizes the monitor but not the new one). Can someone please help me fix this problem, Thanks!

New Video Card:
http://

My PC (Switching the GTX 645):
http://

Solution
Wow this thread is off the rails.

First off drivers don't matter, if you don't even see the BIOS then its a hardware problem.

Secondly, that PSU is more than fine, and I saw you asked about this in the HP forums, they all have no clue what they are talking about.

Third you don't need to disable onboard graphics, thats a waste of time, its already disabled and even if it wasn't you had a GPU in there before. Don't remove those tabs, you don't need to.

Fourth BadActors suggestion is likely the issue, did you follow that exactly?

And finally, I don't like those converter cables, many times they are the source of the problem, can you use an HDMI or anything else to make a direct connection to your monitor or another monitor?
You don't have your old and new one in at the same time, do you? I didn't know you even had an old one, I figured you were using the CPU's graphics. It's possible your GPU just has trouble with compatibility. That's what happens sometimes with GPUs and a prebuilt HP machine.

InfernalPhantom

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
Okay, I only have one card at a time xD. Let me summarize this again for everyone. When installing my new card there is no signal and I need to know how to fix it. Obviously I CANNOT access the BIOS on the new card because there is not signal so how am I going to fix the new one to work

It's apparently incompatible or defective.

Probably not compatible with that motherboard. This is a thing that only sometimes happens with motherboard from HP and the likes. If you had a normal non-prebeuilt computer I'm sure it'd work fine. What was your previous GPU anyway?

Just unscrew it. I don't see any use in plugging into the motherboard anyway, since your old GPU works fine and you can access the BIOS from there.

That wouldn't have anything to do with it; obviously PCIe is the first option since you are using your old GPU right now.

Your card is either incompatible or defective. Probably incompatible.

Did you download the newest drivers for the new video card?

By the way, those connectors on your MB are for VGA and DVI-D, not HDMI. I imagine that they blocked them off since the PC came with a GPU and they didn't want to be answering set up calls of customers who plugged into the wrong set of connectors.

Sometime if there is the old GPU driver leftover, and you install the new GPU then you will get this situation, no signal, but the PC can boot.
Soory, if you don't have other pc to test, go to local PC shop ask for help, because the gtx645 works with your PC, so the new GPU may have problem, if you try to uninstall the old GPU driver method.

InfernalPhantom

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016

Okay I will do that I will get back to you tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.