PLEASE HELP! When Installing My GTX 960, No Signal Found on my monitor

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

InfernalPhantom

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
So I got a gtx 960 strix 4 gb and I installed it correctly with the 6 pin connected. I plug in it into my monitor (via VGA with the VGA-DVI converter) and power the system, no post beeps and every fan is spinning EVEN the video card's. However the monitor does not get a signal. (Btw my old video card recognizes the monitor but not the new one). Can someone please help me fix this problem, Thanks!

New Video Card:
http://

My PC (Switching the GTX 645):
http://

Solution
Wow this thread is off the rails.

First off drivers don't matter, if you don't even see the BIOS then its a hardware problem.

Secondly, that PSU is more than fine, and I saw you asked about this in the HP forums, they all have no clue what they are talking about.

Third you don't need to disable onboard graphics, thats a waste of time, its already disabled and even if it wasn't you had a GPU in there before. Don't remove those tabs, you don't need to.

Fourth BadActors suggestion is likely the issue, did you follow that exactly?

And finally, I don't like those converter cables, many times they are the source of the problem, can you use an HDMI or anything else to make a direct connection to your monitor or another monitor?

InfernalPhantom

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
I will just have to somehow disable the on board grahpics and uninstall the drivers on the old card and I should be good to go. (BTW some people say an i7 4790 and gtx 960 and 12gb ddr3 is more than 460w PSU, is that true?)

For your system ( i7-4790 + gtx960+12GB RAM), it will not draw more than 300W-350W from the PSU. The HP 460W PSU should be fine.
If you done the uninstall the old GPU driver, also disable the onboard iGPU, then you are good to go to try. Like turkey3_scratch said, if the PC will not pass the POST, and boot into the window, that means you don't fix anything. The PC will boot into the BIOS even the PC does not have any hard driver or OS.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Wow this thread is off the rails.

First off drivers don't matter, if you don't even see the BIOS then its a hardware problem.

Secondly, that PSU is more than fine, and I saw you asked about this in the HP forums, they all have no clue what they are talking about.

Third you don't need to disable onboard graphics, thats a waste of time, its already disabled and even if it wasn't you had a GPU in there before. Don't remove those tabs, you don't need to.

Fourth BadActors suggestion is likely the issue, did you follow that exactly?

And finally, I don't like those converter cables, many times they are the source of the problem, can you use an HDMI or anything else to make a direct connection to your monitor or another monitor?

Solution

InfernalPhantom

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016

With your first suggestion, I dont get to see the BIOS because the screen has no signal. Yes I can use an HDMI connection with another monitor! And Lastly I did what BadActors said which was to disable secure boot and enable legacy mode.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Right ok, I was just pointing out all these suggestions about drivers aren't going to help you as your problem is there is no signal.

So you disabled secure boot, and that still did not fix the issue as well?

And finally HDMI also gave you no signal?

InfernalPhantom

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
After 2 weeks of hard work, I finally found out the problem. The card is DOA because I was going to get an exchange and the employee tested it on a test bench and it didn't show a signal (LOL). I decided to just get a full refund and a bit extra stuff for free and I am going to wait it out for the AMD RX 480 to come out with hopefully positive reviews. I learnt a lot through my 2 weeks (decided to upgrade my PSU to the EVGA 500B) and I appreciate your hard work in supporting me.

Thanks for everyone who helped me,
Infernal

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Well tbh the 500B should have no problem powering an RX 480 its low power. However I will never stand against upgrading from a kinda low mid level PSU to one of the best on the market (550 GS or G2).

InfernalPhantom

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016

If it should be fine with the RX 480 would it have to be a must if I would upgrade to a GTX 970?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

No but why waste your time with a GTX 970 the RX 480 is better.

InfernalPhantom

Commendable
Jun 8, 2016
Well... You never know the true benchmarks untill it comes out so I need another backup. That and I am pretty sure the prices on most cards will drop. I still agree with your idea... but you never know its true performance untill it gets reviewed! Crossing my fingers:bounce:

(Btw what is the minimum required A on the 12v rails for the RX 480 ... my PSU has 40)

Status
Not open for further replies.