[SOLVED] please help with cpu cooling issues/gpu clock issues

Mar 31, 2022
Hi, I've been having performance issues on my computer due to CPU and GPU problems (I think)
5 days ago, I was playing cod at 10fps, compared to the 120+ i had just over a month ago. Since then, i've fixed some problems with my gpu and cpu, but I havent been able to get back to my normal fps.
I undervolted my cpu, fixed my gpu drivers, and the performance

My GPU memory clock gets stuck at 202.5MHz when power and thermal issues pop up, and my gpu clock gets stuck at 300MHz. (according to GPU-Z)
My GPU under load only reaches up to 60c, compared to the 90c when I had no issues with performance (about a month ago)

After a couple days of monitoring, the cpu temperatures did not get better at all, so i replaced the thermal paste on my pc 3 days ago, but I shared 1ml for both my gpu and cpu. it might be an issue with the thermal paste (Thermal Grizzy Kryonaut)
My cpu idles at around 65-80c when im surfing through the internet, and I've seen it go up to 100c when I was playing Cod for testing.
I have multiple logs to prove this. I just bought another 5ml of thermal paste just in case, I'm hoping that you guys could fix it. I've been on ltt forums and havent seen the biggest improvement. I'm not saying that the person trying to help me is bad, im just dumb or my computer is going crazy.

Before you tell me about how to cool my cpu down, here's some stuff I did:

- I bought a 80 dollar notebook cooler
-opened my windows (5c outside)
-new thermal paste (might be the reason why it got hotter in the last 3 days tho)
-undervolted my cpu

I really hope you guys can help. If you need more information about my problem, I can definitely link you guys to the thread I have in ltt forums.

specs
CPU: Intel Core i7-9750H
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060 (Mobile)
SSD: Samsung MZVLB256HBHQ-000L2 256GB (19.5 GB free)
HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB (24.1 GB free)
RAM: Samsung M471A1K43DB1-CTD 89C2 8ATF1G64AZ-2G1B1 16GB
MBD: Lenovo 81Q6
OS: Windows 11 Pro 22H2 22579.1 (yes, I have dev builds on, I went to get on dev builds to try windows 11 out last year only to find out that you can't get out unless you do a clean reinstall.)

heres a picture of my gpu clock, perf limit and cpu temp on gpu-z (i don't understand why you can't directly add pictures)
https://pasteboard.co/whSzy5cLVwIe.png

Last edited:
Solution
After re-reading the posts my thought remains that the problems are power related.

With a history of past -mining and heavy gaming use the laptop has probably reached some threshold where the various power components simply cannot fulfill power demands. Even though mining and gaming were given up months ago the damage may have already been done.

Overall, laptops can be more difficult to diagnose and troubleshoot. Physical access can be more complicated and attempts to open the case can lead to damage.

FYI:

https://turbofuture.com/computers/How-to-Tell-When-Computer-Power-Supply-Is-Failing

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000125125/how-to-troubleshoot-ac-adapter-issues

Use the preceding links to do some...
Mar 31, 2022
PSU?

Make, model, wattage, rating, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used)?

History of heavy use for gaming, video editing, or mining?
my gaming laptop is a lenovo legion y545 build 81Q6. I bought this laptop in October 2020, which means that my computer is around 1 and a half years old. The condition is new, at least at the time I bought my computer. It is a gaming laptop, so I used my laptop for a variety of things, including the 3 listed on top (although I only mined on my pc just for a week or two).

I have no idea what my psu is, ill have to check by opening up my computer tonight.

Ralston18

Titan
So - a gaming laptop and not a desktop computer - correct?

First - discontinue any further mining. Hold on game playing as well.

Second - check the laptop's specs for PSU/power information.

Third - what mining software did you use? What were the recommended hardware specs for that mining software?

With a history of heavy gaming use (correct ?) the additional power demands for mining may simply have been too much.....

Mar 31, 2022

Third - what mining software did you use? What were the recommended hardware specs for that mining software?

With a history of heavy gaming use (correct ?) the additional power demands for mining may simply have been too much.....
Yep, a laptop.
I haven't mined in over 6 months. My computer has been fine until just a month ago.
Yes, I do have heavy gaming use, but now I only play games to test my cpu and gpu performance.
I dont have the files for my miner right now (since I deleted it) I'm pretty sure it was something called phoenix miner or something.
I'll try to find my laptop's psu info, but I'm having a hard time to try and find it right now.

Mar 31, 2022

would the charger be the psu or something else in my pc be the psu?

Mar 31, 2022

so if it is the ac power adapter... my power adapter is 240W 20V.

Mar 31, 2022

damn im not getting any replies from both forums... is there anything wrong?

Ralston18

Titan
After re-reading the posts my thought remains that the problems are power related.

With a history of past -mining and heavy gaming use the laptop has probably reached some threshold where the various power components simply cannot fulfill power demands. Even though mining and gaming were given up months ago the damage may have already been done.

Overall, laptops can be more difficult to diagnose and troubleshoot. Physical access can be more complicated and attempts to open the case can lead to damage.

FYI:

https://turbofuture.com/computers/How-to-Tell-When-Computer-Power-Supply-Is-Failing

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000125125/how-to-troubleshoot-ac-adapter-issues

Use the preceding links to do some additional troubleshooting. You can easily find other similar links.

Other things you can do:

Go to Lenovo's website: check Lenovo's Forums and FAQs for other questions and problems associated with your Legion Y545 mode.

You can look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that may reveal some problem(s).

You can also use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (use both but only one at a time) to observe system performance. Discover what, for example the laptop is doing, when there are cooling and clocking issues.

Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) and Performance Monitor may prove helpful.

Simplify the laptop by uninstalling or at least disabling all unnecessary software, utilities, etc. running in the background. Check in Task Manager to ensure that there is nothing unexpected or unknown in the start-up tab. Likewise do the same in Task Scheduler - perhaps some trigger is in place and thus launching another process.

Roll back from Windows 11 - especially the Developer's built. The Developer's build may be buggy or corrupted in some manner and is causing problems.

Indeed you may need a clean install.

Start here:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366/

As always, be sure to back up all important data at least 2 X to locations away from the laptop.

= = = =

Note: There is nothing wrong....

Sometimes it does take time to receive any replies and there may be time between replies.

Everyone here is a volunteer and, in many cases, folks are doing some research or other reading before responding.

Solution