please please help me

i got my new dell pc a few weeks ago, and have since connected to the internet.
i keep getting pop ups from various different sites offering me stupid deal
or another, and this is where i believe my problem lies.
my start up is very slow and programmes keep crashing on me at the most
crucial of times. also, another very annoying factor is that i cant seem to
get pinball to load, no matter which way i try to get into it. im not very pc
wise when it comes to the technical side of things. so would really
appreciate some advice on how to get rid of any viruses i may have picked up,
one of them i think is trojan horse, and another one, (which pops up every
day) is called ardware.
many thanks to anyone with step by step!!
Mrs T Smart

Your PC is probably infected with viruses/spyware/malware.

http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=YVXRORVWHFHMFNZMBBX

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

Antivirus software: Frequently asked questions
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/antivirus.mspx

Install Avast! antivirus program (FREE)

3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Mrs T Smart" wrote:

| i got my new dell pc a few weeks ago, and have since connected to the internet.
| i keep getting pop ups from various different sites offering me stupid deal
| or another, and this is where i believe my problem lies.
| my start up is very slow and programmes keep crashing on me at the most
| crucial of times. also, another very annoying factor is that i cant seem to
| get pinball to load, no matter which way i try to get into it. im not very pc
| wise when it comes to the technical side of things. so would really
| appreciate some advice on how to get rid of any viruses i may have picked up,
| one of them i think is trojan horse, and another one, (which pops up every
| day) is called ardware.
| many thanks to anyone with step by step!!
| Mrs T Smart

map

Mrs T Smart wrote:
> i got my new dell pc a few weeks ago, and have since connected to the
> internet. i keep getting pop ups from various different sites
> offering me stupid deal
> or another, and this is where i believe my problem lies.
> my start up is very slow and programmes keep crashing on me at the
> most crucial of times. also, another very annoying factor is that i
> cant seem to get pinball to load, no matter which way i try to get
> into it. im not very pc wise when it comes to the technical side of
> things. so would really
> appreciate some advice on how to get rid of any viruses i may have
> picked up, one of them i think is trojan horse, and another one,
> (which pops up every day) is called ardware.
> many thanks to anyone with step by step!!
> Mrs T Smart

Sometimes,when you remove malware it will stop your TCP/IP
stack from working (Internet connection).
Winsock or LSP-fix will correct the problem,Download first.
Note to anyone using NOD32 Anti-Virus software,Do Not delete the
"imon.dll" this fix reports,This is your internet /e-mail scanning engine.

YES-You need more than 1 malware program,the one's below are all free
and work well.
LSP-fix- http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
Spybot S&D - http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
About Buster- http://www.spychecker.com/program/aboutbuster.html
Ad-Aware SE - http://majorgeeks.com/Ad-Aware_SE_Personal_d506.html
MS Antispyware:
CWShredder -http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html
Hijack this - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html\
Hijackthis tutorial -
http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php?showtopic=165
SpywareBlaster - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
SpywareGuard - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareguard.html
WinPatrol - http://winpatrol.com
BHO Demon - http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3550.html
asquared2 "Trojan Remover" - http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
A nice site -
http://groups.msn.com/TeMercInternetSecuritySite/malwarecountermeasures.msnw
NOD32Anti-Virus Free 30 day trial
http://nod32.com/download/trial.htm
Process Guard-
http://www.diamondcs.com.au/processguard/index.php?page=download
A link for free online virus and trojan scanners.
http://virusall.com/downscan.html

To help stop unauthorized downloads via your activex controls change your
default settings.
These settings are good for XP. The wording should be close for other
systems
as well.
Go to control panel and open "internet options".
Click on the security tab then custom level.
make sure these settings are as follows.

Download signed active x controls>set to prompt
Download unsigned active x controls>set to disable
Initialize and script active x controls not marked as safe>set to disable
Run active x controls and pluggins>set to enable
Script active x controls marked safe for scripting>set to enable
Java permissions>set to high
Launching programs and files in a IFRAME" > Prompt
Installation of Desktop items"> Prompt
Navigate sub-frames across different domains>prompt

--
Mike Pawlak

map

Mrs T Smart wrote:
> i got my new dell pc a few weeks ago, and have since connected to the
> internet. i keep getting pop ups from various different sites
> offering me stupid deal
> or another, and this is where i believe my problem lies.
> my start up is very slow and programmes keep crashing on me at the
> most crucial of times. also, another very annoying factor is that i
> cant seem to get pinball to load, no matter which way i try to get
> into it. im not very pc wise when it comes to the technical side of
> things. so would really
> appreciate some advice on how to get rid of any viruses i may have
> picked up, one of them i think is trojan horse, and another one,
> (which pops up every day) is called ardware.
> many thanks to anyone with step by step!!
> Mrs T Smart

I forgot to mention in my last post that Dell now gives customer support for
spyware problems since yours is new it should be free.

--
Mike Pawlak