[SOLVED] Plethora of BSODS and boot problems after power outage

sp.karvouniaris

Reputable
Aug 19, 2017
Hey everyone

After a power outage recently my pc keeps bsoding at random times with different messages every time. In some cases the bsods would happen as soon as the windows logo appeared and the only way out of that situation was to reinstall Windows (I've done that 2 times already).

Sometimes the pc won't even post while others it will just turn on and off repeatedly.

I've managed to do a memtest64 test and my ram did 19 passes with no errors. I'm guessing either the psu or the motherboard is faulty but unfortunately I don't have any spares. Can anyone please confirm these suspicions?

Sounds like PSU to me, what do you have in at present. If the mobo was gone it would be totally dead or you would be getting memory issues etc.

Are any light yellow,red or white on the Mobo lighting up, also go to Event Viwer by pressing Windows key and R, then enter eventvwr. Then you can see unsder System what is causing the crashes with a code like 411 Kernal Power for example.

sp.karvouniaris

Reputable
Aug 19, 2017
Sounds like PSU to me, what do you have in at present. If the mobo was gone it would be totally dead or you would be getting memory issues etc.

Are any light yellow,red or white on the Mobo lighting up, also go to Event Viwer by pressing Windows key and R, then enter eventvwr. Then you can see unsder System what is causing the crashes with a code like 411 Kernal Power for example.

Currently, all my parts are connected to my pc except an ssd that I suspected was causing this (was wrong btw). I've tried turning the pc on with only the cpu but the problems are so inconsistant that I haven't been able to figure out anything by that.

As for the mobo lights, there's a red light while it's booting (I think that's normal?)

In the event viewer, I found the logs from the past two crashes and it's indeed a Kernel Power error with event id 41. I honestly don't know if that's helpful in any way or if you need more info.

Thanks for the fast reply by the way :)

EDIT: Pc specs

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X
GPU: RTX 2060
MoBo: MSI Gaming Plus Max
RAM: 16GB (Can't remember the brand ffs)
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 S 700W

Last edited:
Kernel Power id 41 is a standard code for an unexpected shutdown for whatever reason. Power outages can often be preceded by power spikes which if your house wiring is not 1a can blown your electronics. Most modern PSU's have built in fail safes which will absorb the spike and protect the components.

Sounds to me that the PSU 12v rail is unstable but you could try CMOS your BIOs and in your energy options in Win10 disable Quickstart. That can sometimes be an issue after a shock shutdown. My money is on the PSU being bust as the TR2 is not awful but was never a "good" one to begin with.

sp.karvouniaris

Reputable
Aug 19, 2017
I've already reset the bios and nothing changed. I've not checked quick start though.

At least my pc was on for about an hour now with no issues. I also tried turning it on and off 2 or 3 times to check if it'll stuck in a boot loop and it didn't happen. I ran prime95 as well (only for 5 minutes though cause my temp wasn't great with the stock cooler) and everything is good. Oh and I checked the voltages with HWMonitor and nothing seemed off.

I don't bet that the problem magically fixed itself though. Should I replace the psu just to be safe?