Question Plextor M8PeG stuck on booting

changty_6

Prominent
Mar 21, 2020
My 3 years old Plextor M8PeG 256GB SSD failed to boot up. It could't be recognized and it'll stuck with the error message "Detect PCIE SSD drive....". I fixed the computer with a new SSD and I also bought an external enclosure for the Plextor SSD to see if I could save some data. But the computer couldn't recognize the SSD in enclosure either. No disk was found in the Disk Management. The surface of SSD became very hot. The SSD is still under warranty but I'm wondering if there's any chance to recognize it and save my data before I send it back to Plextor?
Thanks.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CPo7npExnUJJivGe7

changty_6

Prominent
Mar 21, 2020
My advice would be to see if you can update the firmware as that'll reset it if there's any issue there.
Thanks for your reply.
The firmware is an .exe file, and the Plextor SSD can not be recognized by the computer, neither inserted on the motherboard nor in the external enclosure. So there seems no way to update it.

Thanks for your reply.
The firmware is an .exe file, and the Plextor SSD can not be recognized by the computer, neither inserted on the motherboard nor in the external enclosure. So there seems no way to update it.

It might be possible to update through the command-line using the bootable ISO, in fact I'd suggest that method if you're capable (check the notes/manual). If the drive won't even show for that it might be a more serious problem requiring JTAG to diagnose - that would be an RMA.

changty_6

Prominent
Mar 21, 2020
It might be possible to update through the command-line using the bootable ISO, in fact I'd suggest that method if you're capable (check the notes/manual). If the drive won't even show for that it might be a more serious problem requiring JTAG to diagnose - that would be an RMA.
Thanks! I'll try that. I hope it would not be that serious because the data inside is important to me :(

Well, you can search the error yourself and see what people have done, but usually it catches on the controller/firmware. Controllers don't often go bad and MLC lasts a long time generally. It's possible the mapping got messed somehow (which doesn't erase the data) or some other fluke which is why I hope a forced firmware update will kick it back into operation, assuming nothing is electrically damaged.

changty_6

Prominent
Mar 21, 2020
Well, you can search the error yourself and see what people have done, but usually it catches on the controller/firmware. Controllers don't often go bad and MLC lasts a long time generally. It's possible the mapping got messed somehow (which doesn't erase the data) or some other fluke which is why I hope a forced firmware update will kick it back into operation, assuming nothing is electrically damaged.
I just failed to flash the firmware. I made a USB drive using the ISO firmware from the website, but I couldn't see the SSD in the BIOS. It will stuck forever when I try to boot from the USB drive. And after a few times reboot, I could not even access to the BIOS. I guess I have to apply for the RMA...

I'm sorry to hear that. Does sound like an issue only they can fix, but they can't guarantee retrieval of your data. At this stage you'd want to JTAG which requires hardware and some knowledge beyond the ability of a lot of people unfortunately.

Last edited: