Plz help w/compatability of new system build

dennisdliu

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Hello,

I'm upgrading to a new motherboard and a CPU, hoping to leave all other components the same. Will someone please help me and tell me if the components will be compatible?

-ASUS Hero VI LGA 1150 Z87
-4820K or 4770K (haven't decided yet)
-Sapphire Radeon HD 7990
-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
-CoolerMaster H-212 *CPU Cooler
-Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid
-Samsung 830 Series 256GB SSD
-Corsair TX 750W PSU
-Windows 7 OEM

If you could comment, disprove or confirm the compatability, and also perhaps comment on 4820k vs 4770k (my purpose is mainly gaming) I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you all!!

Solution
For gaming, the Intel Core i5-4670K is more than sufficient. Even if you run a few VMs, the i5 is fine. The i7 would see benefits on heavy audio/video encoding software where multi-threading will yield better performance. But for gaming and most of daily tasks, you will see little benefits getting an i7. But if you must go with the i7, get the 4770K. There's no benefit getting 2011 socket for gaming at this time.
For what it's worth, the Intel Core i7-4820K runs on a different socket, so it won't be compatible with your motherboard. Other than that, here are my thoughts:

1. G.Skills Ripjaws RAM is not optimized for overclocking. I recommend the X or Z models.
2. I would not get the HD 7990. While it's still a powerhouse now, it does limit future upgrades because the card in itself is in CrossFireX configuration and any further CrossFireX will yield little to no benefits. Try a R9 290X if you want to go extreme. It's also less expensive.

dennisdliu

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

Sorry if I wasn't clear in asking my question. Pretty much other then the new CPU and a motherboard, all of the components I have listed below will already come from my old PC. I was hoping to transplant all of the components onto the new mobo, install new OS and CPU and have about 2-3 years out of my PC and save some $ and keep my components the way they are. Just want to make sure the PSU will work with motherboard, the ram will fit new mobo, etc

For gaming, the Intel Core i5-4670K is more than sufficient. Even if you run a few VMs, the i5 is fine. The i7 would see benefits on heavy audio/video encoding software where multi-threading will yield better performance. But for gaming and most of daily tasks, you will see little benefits getting an i7. But if you must go with the i7, get the 4770K. There's no benefit getting 2011 socket for gaming at this time.

Solution