PNY USB 3.0 flash drive keeps resetting on USB 3.0 slot

SnapAttack

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014
The PNY USB 3.0 flash drive works perfectly fine when hooked up on any USB 2.0 port on the desktop. However, when I plug it in on the only one USB 3.0 slot, the windows prompt to open the folder drive keeps popping in and out.

I've tried reformatted to Fat32, NTFS, and exFat via USB 2.0 ports, then plugging it in to the USB 3.0 port and it keeps resetting itself. I have 3 other USB 3.0 devices (3 x 2TB portable drives) and another USB 2.0 flash drive to test the USB 3.0 slot on and it works flawless. Sometimes, I do get lucky and I'm able to transfer ~1GB to the PNY drive through the USB 3.0 slot, but it keeps resetting.

The USB 3.0 slot is actually from a USB 3.0 card reader on the front panel that is attached to the motherboard via PCI-E

Thanks

SnapAttack

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014
I tested the same USB 3.0 flash drive on another computer with a USB 3.0 port and it worked fine. I deduced that the problem was the port on the original computer. I think the PCI-E part with the USB 3.0 port didn't distribute enough power to maintain connection to that specific flash drive. It worked fine on the other USB 3.0 portable drives, but not for that specific flash drive. With a newer part in its place, the problem is fixed.

TRENDING THREADS