Question Poor gaming performance with a GTX 980 ?

Jul 28, 2024
I need some help figuring out the performance issues I am having in games with my MSI GTX 980.
In games I am getting way lower FPS than shown by others online, and while I have some ideas I am not sure what the core issue is.

PC model: Dell Optiplex 7010

Specs
GPU: GTX 980
CPU: i7 3770k
PSU: Segotep 650W 80 Plus Gold
RAM: 16 DDR3 1600 mhz

My only ideas are:

1. My CPU and RAM are heavily bottlenecking my GPU.
or
2. My weird Dell motherboard is causing issues. I'm pretty sure it's not overheating but I do have only 1 case fan installed.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Don't assume cpu temp is ok, check with Core Temp. Make sure frequency is where it should be when doing something and not throttling. What cpu cooler have you got? When was the last time you blew it out? Maybe open side panel for the time being.

Cpu and gpu is a good pairing so that shouldn't be an issue. I used to run 2600k at 4.5 with a 1080Ti and that ran fairly well, 10~15fps less compared to 8700k.

If cpu temp is fine and this system 'used' to run fine then look at what is running in the background. See task manager looking for higher than normal consuming processes. Sort processes highest to lowest, if you find anything of interest then right click that process and search about it. Also see task manager startup items. Run Malwarebytes.

Out of interest, what videos are you comparing to?

Last edited: