Question Poor PC Performance (FPS) with high end build

CalMorrison

Honorable
May 10, 2015
Hey everyone, recently I built a high end PC and have been experiencing poor performance in games. A good example is in GTAV where I get around 80 fps at 1440p and during the graphics benchmark even dip below 40fps. Compared to others with the same specs, I should be getting upwards of double or more the FPS during the graphics test in some areas. than I have been getting. I also have friends who get noticeably better performance with much weaker builds. Please note: I am experiencing the same performance issues on all games, not just GTAV.

My Specs:
  • Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XII Formula
  • CPU: Intel i9-10900k
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum Water Cooler
  • GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB
  • Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 x 4 (64GB total)
  • PSU: Asus AX 1000W 80+ Titanium
  • NVME: Samsung 970 Evo Plus (Windows 10)
  • SSD: Samsung 860 QVO (Games)
I have tried many things in order to fix this but to no avail. Here is a comprehensive list of what I've done:
  • RMA'd GPU (I have a brand new GPU and am experiencing the same issues!)
  • Updated Nvidia Drivers
  • Used DDU to remove all drivers and reinstall fresh drivers
  • Enabled XMP in bios
  • Changed Nvidia power settings to prefer performance
  • Made sure I was on performance mode on the GPU bios switch
  • Using two separate PCIE power cables for each 8-pin instead of daisy chaining
  • Tweaked graphics settings in GTAV (even tried on a 1080p monitor)
  • Reinstalled any games I was testing with
  • Changed the NVME to a different slot
  • Tried a different GPU (980ti) and experienced the same performance issues
  • Tried using several performance monitoring software's in order to spot any abnormalities (there was none that I could spot)
Here are some performance benchmarks:
As a notice using HWinfo, I did not spot any thermal throttling which sometimes can be the cause of these sort of performance issues. Power draw and usage for CPU and GPU seem to be normal as well.

Thank you very much in advance for any insights or ideas that anyone may offer.

Last edited:
Chances are your problems are related to the Seagate Barracuda you have. As someone with two old spinning disks in their system I've seen some weird system killing behavior. For example my system started slowing to a crawl every time fortnight updated as I rarely played it and had it installed on there.

1. If you have epic don't install anything on that spinning disk especially if it updates regularly like fortnight.
  2. Don't install programs with any background jobs on that Seagate (it's better if you don't install anything on it honestly).
  3. Turn of Microsoft Telemetry. Google it. It can kill performance randomly and it doesn't affect all users, but when it does your system will not perform as expected and there will be no good reason why
  4. Check what processes and services are running on your system. When you look at the services see which ones start automatically especially if they are currently running.
  5. Tweak your antivirus settings. Maybe have it not scan the Barracuda automatically or scan it regularly on a schedule where you probably won't be gaming.
  6. Turn of indexing on your Seagate only if you hear it being accessed a log while idle as Microsoft may be trying to index it regularly. This works fine on SSDs, but the way they do it on spinning disks now slows things down more than anything

7) Extreme case just unplug that seagate and run benchmarks again to see if anything is different :D.

Reactions: Phaaze88

CalMorrison

Honorable
May 10, 2015
Chances are your problems are related to the Seagate Barracuda you have. As someone with two old spinning disks in their system I've seen some weird system killing behavior. For example my system started slowing to a crawl every time fortnight updated as I rarely played it and had it installed on there.

1. If you have epic don't install anything on that spinning disk especially if it updates regularly like fortnight.
  2. Don't install programs with any background jobs on that Seagate (it's better if you don't install anything on it honestly).
  3. Turn of Microsoft Telemetry. Google it. It can kill performance randomly and it doesn't affect all users, but when it does your system will not perform as expected and there will be no good reason why
  4. Check what processes and services are running on your system. When you look at the services see which ones start automatically especially if they are currently running.
  5. Tweak your antivirus settings. Maybe have it not scan the Barracuda automatically or scan it regularly on a schedule where you probably won't be gaming.
  6. Turn of indexing on your Seagate only if you hear it being accessed a log while idle as Microsoft may be trying to index it regularly. This works fine on SSDs, but the way they do it on spinning disks now slows things down more than anything
7) Extreme case just unplug that seagate and run benchmarks again to see if anything is different :D.

Hey @megamanx00 ! Thanks for the reply!

I've installed the drivers/firmware for my NVME and SSD drive, removed the barracuda drive, and disabled Microsoft telemetry. I only noticed minimal increase in performance as seen in 3D Mark and User Benchmark and minimal if any increase in FPS in game.

My Seagate drive also does not having installed on it, it only contains files for long term storage and only ever boots up when I access it to the best of my memory. Windows and programs and my games are installed on the NVME and SSD respectively.

I would also like to note, I don't have an antivirus installed so that couldn't be the issue, and I've been experiencing these issues since the day I build with a brand new Windows install and drive.

I have minimal tasks running at startup and overall system usage is low when idling and even gaming (except for game itself).

Thanks for the ideas and help it's greatly appreciated!

Dang. I got nuthin then. It is odd. I would say start resource monitor. Then run a bench. You can alt tab in the middle and check all the tabs to see if anything is odd. CPU, memory and disk. Heck even check the network tab. If you see a process using a lot of any resource let us know.

Last edited: