Question Poor performance on gaming laptop

JackHinton

Honorable
Nov 23, 2016
My friend has recently purchase a Asus TUF FX506 gaming laptop with : i5 10300h , GTX 1660ti, 8GB ram, 512gb ssd etc. He was trying to play COD Cold War and on lowest settings at 1080p he was only getting 30-40 fps. I have walked him through some steps like making sure the power options are correct and the game is utilizing the 1660ti but the fps still remains low. I have looked at benchmarks online of similar/worse spec laptops and they are getting over 60fps at medium/high settings. I have made him install afterburner to overlay usage and temps and they seems good, no thermal throttling and the usage on the CPU and GPU look like they are being utilized as expected. The laptop came with Armoury Crate pre-installed and I made him set it to turbo mode to ensure that wasn't interfering. The only thing I can think of is if there is a hidden settings somewhere or something that is not allowing it to work to its maximum potential. Please can anyone suggest things to check, otherwise he will have to contact Asus to see if they can help.

JackHinton

Honorable
Nov 23, 2016
Google benchmarks of single channel vs dual. It is game and system dependent but it can be significant. I actually think it’s quite disgusting that they sell gaming laptops with single channel RAM knowing the impact it can have.
I know it's not aiding the performance but from benchmarks I've seen of similar specs that may or may not be running dual channel because its not specified in the video, but its can be a difference of nearing 100fps on videos to him getting 30fps in game. I think that kind of performance difference is going to be something more than dual channel.

I know it's not aiding the performance but from benchmarks I've seen of similar specs that may or may not be running dual channel because its not specified in the video, but its can be a difference of nearing 100fps on videos to him getting 30fps in game. I think that kind of performance difference is going to be something more than dual channel.
Ok fair enough. Is the gpu or any cpu cores hitting 100% usage while in game?

Are other games performing ok? Can you get him to run userbenchmark and then share the public link to the results.