poor performance

My display performance in the game is very choppy. Not smooth at all!

I have set all the display settings in the game all the way down, and it
hasn't helped.

I am currently using a eVGA nvidia 5200 Light 128mb video card, and an Asus
A7N8X Deluxe MB, and 1gig of pc2700 running dual channel. LG LCD DVI
monitor.

Any recommendations? This is driving me nuts!

wesley

"Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net> wrote in message
> My display performance in the game is very choppy. Not smooth at all!
>
> I have set all the display settings in the game all the way down, and it
> hasn't helped.
>
> I am currently using a eVGA nvidia 5200 Light 128mb video card, and an
> Asus A7N8X Deluxe MB, and 1gig of pc2700 running dual channel. LG LCD DVI
> monitor.
>
> Any recommendations? This is driving me nuts!

Hmmm, Nvidia 5200 is past of things. I recommend start from 5900 XT. I don't
know about 5700 but noticed it hella cheaper now.

Other PC still use GeForce 4 MX quite playable with UT2004 yes there is
choppy as well...

I'm using 6600GT here it quite nice.... :)

"Wesley" <Wesley@kissworld.com.de> wrote in message

> "Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net> wrote in message
>> My display performance in the game is very choppy. Not smooth at all!
>>
>> I have set all the display settings in the game all the way down, and it
>> hasn't helped.
>>
>> I am currently using a eVGA nvidia 5200 Light 128mb video card, and an
>> Asus A7N8X Deluxe MB, and 1gig of pc2700 running dual channel. LG LCD DVI
>> monitor.
>>
>> Any recommendations? This is driving me nuts!
>
> Hmmm, Nvidia 5200 is past of things. I recommend start from 5900 XT. I
> don't know about 5700 but noticed it hella cheaper now.
>
> Other PC still use GeForce 4 MX quite playable with UT2004 yes there is
> choppy as well...
>
> I'm using 6600GT here it quite nice.... :)

I recently went to a 6600GT and I also am quite fond of it. It plays every
game I have maxxed out with great framerates. I can run 2K4 on max and still
keep FPS in the 80-'s. The only thing I wonder is why you would go through
all the trouble and expense to get a 6800 (or even run duals)?

"Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net> wrote in message

> I am currently using a eVGA nvidia 5200 Light 128mb video card

that is just bad ;o0

> A7N8X Deluxe MB, and 1gig of pc2700 running dual channel. LG LCD DVI
> monitor.

what kind of cpu? with UT the cpu "can" be one of the most important
things. Even though in this case I lean towards blaming the video card.

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm

> "Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I am currently using a eVGA nvidia 5200 Light 128mb video card
>

> that is just bad ;o0

ok, after looking at some reviews of the standard 5200 I can say the problem
is your video card. The standard 5200 is useless for gaming, less than half
the speed of a gf4 ti4200 in ut2004. I can't even imagine how much slower
the "lite" version would be ;o0

--

Margolis
http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

Found out the problem.

I am running my resolution too high for the 5200 card, and thus have
decreased frame rates. I am running at 1024 x 1268 (or something close to
that)

"Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in message
> "Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I am currently using a eVGA nvidia 5200 Light 128mb video card
>

> that is just bad ;o0
>

>> A7N8X Deluxe MB, and 1gig of pc2700 running dual channel. LG LCD DVI
>> monitor.
>>

> what kind of cpu? with UT the cpu "can" be one of the most important
> things. Even though in this case I lean towards blaming the video card.
>

> --
>
> Margolis
> http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

Andrew

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:29:12 -0500, "Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net>
wrote:

>What about the 5500's?

The 5 series will be okay for UT, but aren't a good investment if you
are going to play any DX9 games. Something like an ATI 9600 Pro would
be a better bet.

How about a PNY FX5700?

> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:29:12 -0500, "Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net>
> wrote:
>
>>What about the 5500's?
>
> The 5 series will be okay for UT, but aren't a good investment if you
> are going to play any DX9 games. Something like an ATI 9600 Pro would
> be a better bet.

Andrew

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:34:35 -0500, "Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net>
wrote:

>How about a PNY FX5700?

Same deal, all the FX5 cards are weak DX9 cards.

Forget the fram resolution idea.... I am still getting choppy performance!

My 64mb card did better than this lame 128mb card!!!

> Thankyou for that very helpful information. I too build systems, and this
> is the first time I have ever had this problem. Apparently in readng
> reviews, the 5200 did worse in benchmarks than the 4 series cards.
>
> I did have an ATI for a short while but i was unimpressed by the card, and
> it had heating issues causing it to go out altogether after minutes of
> gaming.
>
> My system is currently using a AMD Athlon 2600+ and 1gig of PC2700. I can
> very easily minimize the game and run other applications.
>
> I am currently considering the nvidia 6600GT. My buddy has the 6800GT and
> loves it, but I don't have $350 for a video card. ATI is off my list
> currently due to the worst experience I have ever had with a card (until
> now)
>
> If I went ATI, which card would you recommend as the best value for a
> gamer?

For the bucks you are going to spend the 6600GT is a wonderful choice. It
burns up the comparably priced cards from ATI and it is just rock solid.
I've used both products and although there are camps to both sides it really
just comes down to performance:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041119/geforce-6600gt-agp-05.html
and
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041119/geforce-6600gt-agp-10.html

The only downside I've seen it the fact you have to split your power supply
and this may cause cable routing issues inside your box. The card requires
it's own feed so you probably will need a molex splitter if you get the card
(they are just a couple of bucks).

As an aside you should really look at your CPU too. Even the best vid card
will only help so much if you have a middling processor.

I checked the benchmarking for UT2004 and the FX5900 out performed the
6800GT. Not by much but it did. It also did much better than the 6600GT

>I checked the benchmarking for UT2004 and the FX5900 out performed the
>6800GT. Not by much but it did. It also did much better than the 6600GT

The 6600GT suffered from a lack of on-board RAM. It was a 128 card playing
against the 256 versions. Of course at very high resolutions and full on AA
and AF the lower RAM levels will cause a lesser performance. You can fix
that now though with the 256 version. Still though I can tell you that in
real world experience my 6600GT smokes UT2004 at any res I want. I get 80+
fps on full settings and level load times are very short. Getting good, fast
system RAM helped a bunch too.

I also run a GF4 4200ti on my segregated testing box and a Radeon 9200 on my
kid's rig. There's just no comparison. I do think that the Radeon drivers
have a better interface when using multimonitor or TV out. The unified
drivers of NVidia are a little confusing to a newer user. I use coolbits as
it's easier to control your card.

To be fair upgrading my box to a 64-bit processor did as much or more than
buying the card. UT is truly quite processor intensive.

"Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net> wrote in message
>I checked the benchmarking for UT2004 and the FX5900 out performed the
>6800GT. Not by much but it did. It also did much better than the 6600GT

where did you see these reviews? none of the revies I have seen have shown
the 5900 beating the 6600gt, let alone even coming anywhere near the 6800gt
here is one:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041222/vga_charts-04.html

notice the 6600gt is almost twice as fast as the 5900 @ 1024x768 w/4x aa and
8x af. And the 6800gt is 3 times as fast as the 5900. I can also tell you
from experience that the 6800gt really is a LOT LOT BETTER than the 5900
ultra in ut2004 since I replaced a 5900 ultra with a 6800gt.

--

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 14:21:54 -0500, "Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net>
wrote:

>Thankyou for that very helpful information. I too build systems, and this is
>the first time I have ever had this problem. Apparently in readng reviews,
>the 5200 did worse in benchmarks than the 4 series cards.
>
>I did have an ATI for a short while but i was unimpressed by the card, and
>it had heating issues causing it to go out altogether after minutes of
>gaming.
>
>My system is currently using a AMD Athlon 2600+ and 1gig of PC2700. I can
>very easily minimize the game and run other applications.
>
>I am currently considering the nvidia 6600GT. My buddy has the 6800GT and
>loves it, but I don't have $350 for a video card. ATI is off my list
>currently due to the worst experience I have ever had with a card (until
>now)
>
>If I went ATI, which card would you recommend as the best value for a gamer?

Well, that all depends on whether you are AGP or ePCI based. Some
good values available now on the Radeon 9800 pro series (AGP). The
ePCI cards are all a bit pricey, especially the 800xt. They do make a
600xt and (I think) a 700xt ePCI model, if your MB supports that.
Your Athlon 2600+, which is probably really running at 1.9 ghz or
something like that, might offer you a place for upgrade as well.

Last of all, some cards are real quirky about the order in which you
install things like the driver, and DX9.B .. Some say before the
driver install, some after. I know it makes no sense, but I've seen
it have an impact on more than one card.

Cheers

Andrew

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 17:12:24 -0500, "Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net>
wrote:

>I checked the benchmarking for UT2004 and the FX5900 out performed the
>6800GT. Not by much but it did. It also did much better than the 6600GT

That is fine as long as all you are ever going to play is UT2004.
Throw a DX9 game into the equation and everything changes.

These charts are for PCI-E, you need to look at the AGP charts. At least in
my case you need to.

> "Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net> wrote in message
>>I checked the benchmarking for UT2004 and the FX5900 out performed the
>>6800GT. Not by much but it did. It also did much better than the 6600GT
>>

> where did you see these reviews? none of the revies I have seen have
> shown the 5900 beating the 6600gt, let alone even coming anywhere near the
> 6800gt here is one:
>
> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041222/vga_charts-04.html
>
> notice the 6600gt is almost twice as fast as the 5900 @ 1024x768 w/4x aa
> and 8x af. And the 6800gt is 3 times as fast as the 5900. I can also
> tell you from experience that the 6800gt really is a LOT LOT BETTER than
> the 5900 ultra in ut2004 since I replaced a 5900 ultra with a 6800gt.
>
> --
>
> Margolis
> http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

Check out this link

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-05.html

"Margolis" <someone@somewhere.org> wrote in message
> "Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net> wrote in message
>>I checked the benchmarking for UT2004 and the FX5900 out performed the
>>6800GT. Not by much but it did. It also did much better than the 6600GT
>>

> where did you see these reviews? none of the revies I have seen have
> shown the 5900 beating the 6600gt, let alone even coming anywhere near the
> 6800gt here is one:
>
> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041222/vga_charts-04.html
>
> notice the 6600gt is almost twice as fast as the 5900 @ 1024x768 w/4x aa
> and 8x af. And the 6800gt is 3 times as fast as the 5900. I can also
> tell you from experience that the 6800gt really is a LOT LOT BETTER than
> the 5900 ultra in ut2004 since I replaced a 5900 ultra with a 6800gt.
>
> --
>
> Margolis
> http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-05.html

[snip]

> >>I checked the benchmarking for UT2004 and the FX5900 out performed the
> >>6800GT. Not by much but it did. It also did much better than the 6600GT

A few comments:

a) The 5x00-series cards suffer from a lack of registers which tends to
put it at a serious disadvantage when playing pixel-shader-intense DX9
games. Previously, I owned a GeForce 5600, and fairly recently
purchased a GeForce 6600 GT -- in DX9 games and benchmarks (like
Aquamark), the difference is like night and day.

b) In your example, the 5900 series appears to be effectively tied, in
the 1024x768 [no AA or AF] tests, with a whole slew of other cards (in
the range of 115 to 118 fps). Due to the large number of similar
scores, I suspect that this particular test is CPU-bound, not GPU-
bound .... A much more stressful (and useful) test of the cards occurs
when AA and AF are enabled, in which case we see that the 5900 falls
behind quite dramatically.

c) You probably don't want to purchase a gfx simply for the UT2004 game
that you're playing today .... For $300 CAD, you could purchase an XFX
GeForce 6600 GT (versus ~$250 CAD for a GeForce 5900). The small
difference in price is well worth it, IMO, for future playability.

d) I would suggest that a more realistic benchmark of future playability
might be a more GPU-intensive game like Far Cry (or Half Life 2) ...

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-08.html

Kris

pci express and agp doesn't matter. the cards are the same except for the
way they hook up to the motherboard. The comparisons are valid for
either/or. Besides, look at the one you posted. There is no 6600 in the
test, and in the tests where the game is not limited by the cpu the 6800gt
beats the 5900 series by a substantial margin.

--

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 07:55:54 -0500, "Rick Roth" <rickroth@suscom.net>
wrote:

>Check out this link
>
>http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-05.html

Notice how there are about 20 cards in that chart within 2 FPS of each
other? That means that the game is processor bound, and it wouldn't
make any difference which card you choose.

Never base a graphics card decision on a UT benchmark. UT is and
always has been processor bound. I could pull out my $400 6800 GT and
put in my old GF4 and I would see no change in framerates. That
doesn't mean the cards are equal in performance, it means that UT
cares more about CPU speed than GPU speed.

Use games like Doom or benchmarks like 3DMark05 to measure raw vid
card performance. If all you ever play is UT, then invest in the
fastest processor you can afford, because the vid card really doesn't
matter.

And take the advice given here by others. The 6600 is, right now, the
best bang for the buck on the planet. You would be foolish to buy a
5900 or any other 'prior' technology.

ok...

The only other thing I don't get is that my older system with a 1700+ and a
64MB card (SDRAM) runs UT better than my system posted above.

> pci express and agp doesn't matter. the cards are the same except for the
> way they hook up to the motherboard. The comparisons are valid for
> either/or. Besides, look at the one you posted. There is no 6600 in the
> test, and in the tests where the game is not limited by the cpu the 6800gt
> beats the 5900 series by a substantial margin.
>

> --
>
> Margolis
> http://web.archive.org/web/20030215212142/http://www.agqx.org/faqs/AGQ2FAQ.htm
> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

So are you telling me my 2600+ is not fast enough for this game? It was
alomst a year ago when the demo came out. In fact it was In December when I
got the retail version, and has been until recently. (not arguing... asking)

Do any of the updates have anything to do with this?

"Kris Vorwerk" <nothanks@noonehere.org> wrote in message
>> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-05.html
>
> [snip]

> A few comments:
>
> a) The 5x00-series cards suffer from a lack of registers which tends to
> put it at a serious disadvantage when playing pixel-shader-intense DX9
> games. Previously, I owned a GeForce 5600, and fairly recently
> purchased a GeForce 6600 GT -- in DX9 games and benchmarks (like
> Aquamark), the difference is like night and day.
>
> b) In your example, the 5900 series appears to be effectively tied, in
> the 1024x768 [no AA or AF] tests, with a whole slew of other cards (in
> the range of 115 to 118 fps). Due to the large number of similar
> scores, I suspect that this particular test is CPU-bound, not GPU-
> bound .... A much more stressful (and useful) test of the cards occurs
> when AA and AF are enabled, in which case we see that the 5900 falls
> behind quite dramatically.
>
> c) You probably don't want to purchase a gfx simply for the UT2004 game
> that you're playing today .... For $300 CAD, you could purchase an XFX
> GeForce 6600 GT (versus ~$250 CAD for a GeForce 5900). The small
> difference in price is well worth it, IMO, for future playability.
>
> d) I would suggest that a more realistic benchmark of future playability
> might be a more GPU-intensive game like Far Cry (or Half Life 2) ...
>
> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-08.html
>

> Kris

Hi,

> So are you telling me my 2600+ is not fast enough for this game? It was

No, I didn't say anything to that effect. At a cursory glance, it seems
to me that your computer is fast enough to play UT2004 -- heck, I can
play it on my P4 1.7M laptop, and it still works well.

(I was just offering advice regarding your inclination toward purchasing
a 5900-series card. There are better alternatives for your money, if
you're intent on getting a new card.)

> alomst a year ago when the demo came out. In fact it was In December when I
> got the retail version, and has been until recently. (not arguing... asking)
>
> Do any of the updates have anything to do with this?

Diagnosing performance problems over Usenet is inherently difficult
because people don't know you (and don't know how competent you might
be).

e.g., for anyone to even begin making an accurate guess as to why a game
on your computer runs slowly, you would need to provide way more
information, like ...

a) What operating system are you using?

b) Are you running the latest video and sound card drivers?

c) Have you tried turning down the sound quality in the game?

d) When measuring performance, are all of the settings set to their
minimal values (in the game)? Have you overridden application defaults
(in the video card settings), perhaps by manually forcing AA or AF?

d) Have you tried starting the resolution off fairly low, and measuring
the performance at that point? In a previous post, you mentioned a very
nonstandard resolution ("1024 x 1268"). Set the resolution to 640x480,
and work its way up until things get choppy. (It's very likely that
your 5200-series card is severely underpowered for the resolution that
you want it to drive.)

e) Assuming that you're running a Windows operating system ... Have you
run a virus checker lately? If you're running Linux, is the card using
the AGPgart or the Nvidia module's built-in AGP driver? (I find the
built-in driver *much* faster.)

f) For a Windows box, have you run an anti-spyware tool recently?

g) How many background tasks do you have running (e.g., how many little
icons appear in your system tray)? When you do a 'top' (or open task
manager), and sort by memory, how much memory do you have available?
What kind of load averages do you see prior to (and during) game play?

h) When you say that the game is choppy, is that during online or
"Instant action" play? How big is the map that you're testing? (Is it
a large, custom map?) Does the choppiness change based on the map? If
it's in "Instant action", how many bots are playing? If it's in online
play, what kind of Internet connection do you have?

cheers
Kris ("Dr._V")