[SOLVED] Pop sound 10 second after connecting tablet

Apr 26, 2020
So it happened twice now, but this time I hear where the sound came from.

So I connected my tablet to a 3 way splitter and it made that weird static pop sound. After that I unplugged the splitter and put the tablets adapter directly into the wall outlet and no sound or anything, it works fine now. But is my device damaged in any way now? Its working perfectly fine but I'm worried that maybe in a few weeks or so it wont work or something happenes.

-Samsung galaxy tab a 10.1 (2019)
-Original power adapter and cable

Solution
Do not use that splitter any more.

Somewhere a static charge is building up and when you connect the tablet via the splitter, the charge is released and current flows from Point A to point B. Like a small lightning strike. If you hear the pop via the speakers then the current flow is getting into the audio circuits.

Or as the tablet plug is inserted it makes momentary contact someplace it should not. Again current flows....

For the moment I would expect the tablet to be okay and hopefully nothing else will happen.

However, if you keep using that adapter and "zapping" the tablet - all bets are off.

Damage could be cumulative and after one final pop - tablet or some component therein may be gone for good.

Ralston18

Titan
Do not use that splitter any more.

Somewhere a static charge is building up and when you connect the tablet via the splitter, the charge is released and current flows from Point A to point B. Like a small lightning strike. If you hear the pop via the speakers then the current flow is getting into the audio circuits.

Or as the tablet plug is inserted it makes momentary contact someplace it should not. Again current flows....

For the moment I would expect the tablet to be okay and hopefully nothing else will happen.

However, if you keep using that adapter and "zapping" the tablet - all bets are off.

Damage could be cumulative and after one final pop - tablet or some component therein may be gone for good.

Solution
Apr 26, 2020
thanks a ton for answering so quickly!

Well I instantly threw the splitter away (few away),
And the sound came from the adapter itself, not the speakers. I'm still using the same adapter for the tablet but now its plugged into the wall it's nice and quiet when charging. Is there anything else I need to do or check? And also what do you mean by "zapping"?

Most of the time what you heard is the power jump through dirty, corroded, overheated contacts.
If you look at the plug carefully you might be able to see a small burnt pit in the adapter plug.
Zapping is a surge of power . When you first plugged it in you had very low power from bad contacts. Then the power jumps through the corrosion/carbon build up causing a small Arc weld spot on the connectors.
When this happens the adaptor is already trying to compensate for low voltage, then it gets high voltage. This causes its output to go over spec and zapping your device.

Reactions: Ralston18

Ralston18

Titan
I cannot add much to @Unolocogringo 's post.

However, as for "zapping" you probably have seen a science fiction movie or two (or even just some generic action/adventure movie) where someone gets hit with a bolt of electricity. Usually accompanied by spectacular sound effect and visuals.

On a much smaller scale, and likely much less dramatic, similar things can happen to electronics. Still there can be smoke, sparks, smell/odors, and flames.

In real life it happens to people as well.

If you have ever been shocked by static electricity or contact with a live electrical circuit then you have been "zapped".

Depending on circumstances and a variety of factors being zapped can be simply annoying or suddenly fatal.