Jun 26, 2020
So yesterday I was trying to set up a modded Minecraft server only to see my brother keep timing out which I later found out that the port forward didn't work(At least I assume it didn't work since I saw that it's not open on a port forward test site)
I have both inbound and outbound rules in the firewall set up and stuff so I'm not sure what's wrong here.
If you need more information I can provide you with what I can give.

If you are both in the same house you do not need port forwarding and want to use the internal IP not the external one.

Try DMZ instead of port forwarding at least to test. Port forwarding can be extremely confusing to setup in some routers. DMZ is much simpler since all you have to get correct it the internal server IP.

Check that the ip you see on the WAN interface of your router is a public ip. Easiest way is to compare the ip with a site like whatsmyip. If they are different it is highly likely you do not have a public IP and port forwarding will never work.

Jun 26, 2020
If you are both in the same house you do not need port forwarding and want to use the internal IP not the external one.

Try DMZ instead of port forwarding at least to test. Port forwarding can be extremely confusing to setup in some routers. DMZ is much simpler since all you have to get correct it the internal server IP.

Check that the ip you see on the WAN interface of your router is a public ip. Easiest way is to compare the ip with a site like whatsmyip. If they are different it is highly likely you do not have a public IP and port forwarding will never work.
is it the same if I directly connect to my modem?

Oh and I'm not sure what you mean by WAN Interface, since this is my only time dealing with stuff like this

If you have a separate modem and router and you connect the server directly to the modem and it still does not work that is another indication that you do not have a public IP.

The router should have a interface called wan some times it is also called internet but you should be able to find it by search around the screens in your router.

Jun 26, 2020
If you have a separate modem and router and you connect the server directly to the modem and it still does not work that is another indication that you do not have a public IP.

The router should have a interface called wan some times it is also called internet but you should be able to find it by search around the screens in your router.

I don't have any router at home, there is only a modem and nothing else

Jun 26, 2020
Ahhh I see, then I'll try DMZ first then
unknown.png

it looks like this for me