Question Port forwarding Issue

ShourobB

Prominent
Mar 19, 2020
I have a rogers modem going into Netgear nighthawk xr450 but the pc running the server is plugged into the modem, the port forward in done but it still shows as closed. the port is 25565 which I put in for the external and internal port(yes it's a Minecraft server, don't judge). I've tried running the server and getting someone to connect but they cannot connect. please help

Lets start with some terminology:
  • "modem" is a device with (eg coax or DSL) connection to ISP, and Ethernet port providing single (public) IP address;
  • "router" is a device with WAN port and LAN/WiFi ports, tasked with "dividing" the WAN port among LAN/WiFi users.

So, if you have plugged your PC directly into the modem, you don't need any port forwarding, as your PC is directly connected to the Internet.

Can you port a picture of how your devices are connected?

ShourobB

Prominent
Mar 19, 2020
Lets start with some terminology:
  • "modem" is a device with (eg coax or DSL) connection to ISP, and Ethernet port providing single (public) IP address;
  • "router" is a device with WAN port and LAN/WiFi ports, tasked with "dividing" the WAN port among LAN/WiFi users.
So, if you have plugged your PC directly into the modem, you don't need any port forwarding, as your PC is directly connected to the Internet.

Can you port a picture of how your devices are connected?

So Rogers gave us a router which is crap so we use a different one and disabled the wireless function on it effectively making it a modem

We ran Ethernet to a switch from there it runs to thr router, it also runs to the pc I'm hosting the server from. As result I still need to port forward in the "modem" setting

ShourobB

Prominent
Mar 19, 2020
So Rogers gave us a router which is crap so we use a different one and disabled the wireless function on it effectively making it a modem

We ran Ethernet to a switch from there it runs to thr router, it also runs to the pc I'm hosting the server from. As result I still need to port forward in the "modem" setting
It also run through walls so I can't get a picture of it