Question Port Forwarding- Multiple Routers (a TP-Link TLWR480N and a modem)

Jun 6, 2019
Ok so I want to forward port 14492 on my computer (it has a static IP).
But the problem is that I have basically 2 routers, so my connection is like the following:-

Internet-->Router 1 (Optronix Modem)--> Router 2 (TL-WR840N)--> Computer

Now the problem is when I go into the settings of the 2nd router, by entering the default gateway (192.168.0.1), I saw that LAN subnet is 255.255.255.0 and WAN is 255.255.255.128

For Router 2:-

WAN IP is of the form 10.x.x.x, and LAN is 192.168.0.1 (this is the link that I use to access its web UI).

How go I go about port forwarding? I'm a beginner so a little bit of explaining would be appreciated please. Thanks.

U must PF on each NAT device.

Assuming ISP ---> NAT1 (NAT1 LAN) ----> (NAT2 WAN) NAT2 ---> (Static IP) Client.

NAT1 box: PF Source IP (often WAN), Source Port, Destination Port (often the same), both TCP/UDP, Dest IP NAT2 WAN.

NAT2 box: PF Source IP (NAT1 LAN or WAN), Source Port, Destination Port (often the same), both TCP/UDP, Dest IP Static IP.

NAT2 WAN IP should also be static.

That's it.

A while back I had this situation too and vaguely recall if I were doing torrent this wouldn't work but I don't remember the exact reason why. No torrent, don't worry about it.

Jun 6, 2019
U must PF on each NAT device.

Assuming ISP ---> NAT1 (NAT1 LAN) ----> (NAT2 WAN) NAT2 ---> (Static IP) Client.

NAT1 box: PF Source IP (often WAN), Source Port, Destination Port (often the same), both TCP/UDP, Dest IP NAT2 WAN.

NAT2 box: PF Source IP (NAT1 LAN or WAN), Source Port, Destination Port (often the same), both TCP/UDP, Dest IP Static IP.

NAT2 WAN IP should also be static.

That's it.

A while back I had this situation too and vaguely recall if I were doing torrent this wouldn't work but I don't remember the exact reason why. No torrent, don't worry about it.
I need to do this exactly for torrenting. A private tracker I'm in requires disabling DHT, UDP, and needs me to open ports

It really doesn't matter why you want to use it the proceedure is pretty much the same. You can use the DMZ option in the "router1" and point it router 2 wan ip. You can then just add/change port forwarding rules in router2 since all ports are forwarded by the dmz option in router 1.

The only strangeness I see is if your router 2 is using 192.68.0.x subnet on both the wan and lan. I would change the lan subnet to something like 192.168.200.x just to avoid problems. Many routers give you errors if the wan and lan are on the same subnet.