Question Port forwarding seems to be set up correctly, but port is still closed.

May 26, 2021
I have port-forwarded before, and as far as I can tell, I have it set up correctly. However when I use https://portforward.com 's port checking utility, it is closed. My ip address is static, and I set a new inbound rule in my computer's firewall, but I see no difference. My router is an eero Pro 6, and I am using an unmanaged ethernet switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated! (My router's firmware is up-to-date)

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Mesh Wifi network - correct?

Do you have access to the eero app?

Reference:

https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/207908443-How-do-I-configure-port-forwarding-

If the above link does not apply or otherwise resolve the problem then more information will be needed.

Generic network line diagram:

ISP ----> Modem -----> Router -----> Switch (for wired devices) and ~~~ wireless ~~~> eero Pro 6 mesh device(s) [LANport] ---Ethernet cable ----> Your computer.

Edit and correct as necessary.

Overall, I believe that you need to set up the forwarded port on the router. Not the eero Pro 6.

Include make and model information for the other devices in your network.

Reactions: icarter
May 26, 2021
Hey, I appreciate the quick response! I believe my router does support the mesh system, but I am only using one of them, so it behaves as a normal router. I have access to the eero app, as that's where I've set up the port forward. From what I know, the eero pro 6 IS my router. It is connected to a modem.

This is what my connection looks like:
ISP ----> Modem(803g) -----> Router(eero pro 6) -----> Switch(5-port Gigabit unmanaged) -----> Ethernet cable ----> My computer.

For reference, this is my exact unit: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/eero-p....p?skuId=6433424&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=208

My modem is a GigaPoint 803g. Information and specs are listed here.

This is my switch.

Thanks for all the help!

So if we assume you set the port forwarding rules up correctly the 2 most common things make a port closed are.

1. The is no program actaully active on the port. You can many times see it with the netstat command.
  2. Much more common is you do not have a public ip address. Check that the IP you see on the WAN port of your router is the same IP as a site like whatsmyip. If they are different you do not have a public IP and port forwarding will never work.

Be very sure of the part number of the modem, some of the devices in the document you linked also contain a router. If yours is only a modem then that is good.

May 26, 2021
1. Ok, so when I run the pf.com port-checker while the application using the port is running, I get this message:

"Port could not be checked. Please close any applications that may be using this port and try again."

I get that message while testing with TCP protocol. When I test with UDP protocol, I get the same "Your port is NOT OPEN or not reachable!".

2. I cannot find any ip address anywhere on my router or modem, however when I check my system, my public ip address reads the same as what I get from this website - http://ip4.me

Let me know if I am misunderstanding your second idea.

Thanks!

It does little good to check different web sites to get the public IP. They all will tell you the same thing but you still don't know if there is a ISP router doing NAT between your router and the web site.

Maybe try the DMZ option on your router instead just to make sure it is not a port forwarding configuration issue. DMZ is much easier to setup on many routers.

Still you need to find the IP being assigned to your router. That is "YOUR" ip and it must be not shared by other people.

kanewolf

Titan
I can't find a DMZ option anywhere in my router's app. Is the "ip assigned to my router" my default gateway?
Not on your PC. Only the GUI in your router can show you your WAN IP address. It might be shown on a "STATUS" screen, or a "WAN" screen or even a "CONFIGURATION" screen.
If you WAN IP address is 100.64.x.y or 192.168.x.y or 10.x.y.z then you can't port forward because you don't have a public IP address.

May 26, 2021
In my router's GUI I see an "ip address" and a "router ip" field. Neither of them looks anything like your examples. That is all in a section called "External IP", and then in a subcategory called DHCP. The choice other than DHCP is "static ip". Should I set that to static?

Thanks

kanewolf

Titan
In my router's GUI I see an "ip address" and a "router ip" field. Neither of them looks anything like your examples. That is all in a section called "External IP", and then in a subcategory called DHCP. The choice other than DHCP is "static ip". Should I set that to static?

Thanks
No. That setting tells the router how to interact with the ISP. Don't change that.
Does anything shown in that External IP match what is shown by https://whatsmyip.com/

May 26, 2021
I haven't checked connecting with another system, I don't really have another device I can check with. When I run the port-checker while the server is online, I get this message:
"Port could not be checked. Please close any applications that may be using this port and try again."

I also know that my server is set up correctly.

Thanks

kanewolf

Titan
I haven't checked connecting with another system, I don't really have another device I can check with. When I run the port-checker while the server is online, I get this message:

I also know that my server is set up correctly.

Thanks
You really need to verify that you can remotely connect to your server on the LAN before trying to verify remote connectivity.
Your portchecker problem could be a false failure because you are running on the same host as the server.
Have you gotten any friends to attempt to connect?

May 26, 2021
Yeah, people outside my network can't connect.
I don't really have another device I can use to connect with, is there another way to check?

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
[
I don't really have another device I can use to connect with, is there another way to check?
Have somebody bring a laptop to your house? With just one compute, your just don't have enough resources. Looking at the EERO manual, it has an option for "hairpin" NAT. That should allow you to use the port forwarding on the router from the LAN to test.

kanewolf

Titan
One thing you could try is running wireshark on the PC while someone attempts to access it. That will allow you to capture any network traffic that comes in. Don't have any other browsers or other software running that would generate traffic. It will make finding the incoming traffic more difficult.
Wireshark is not trivial to use. It can be rather complicated.

kanewolf

Titan