Portal 2 Delayed Until 2011, E3 Surprise Revealed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
I think the Portal 2 Themed surprise is false. Their intention is to mislead the consumer towards that while they cook up the real surprise. Doesn't any else agree on that?

Woah if the surprise is Duke nukem then ...Hell that's quite a surprise.

trash117

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
Dont you get it??..... The press releases are in the point of view of Aperture Science. Like in the first Portal game, they constantly lie and mislead you to make you think things are going bad when they arent.

sheeesh

Portal 2 will be at E3

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I hope Portal 2 has some original aspects to the game as much as I enjoy Portal I wouldn't want to do the same whole thing just on different maps all over again. Perhaps some form of real combat added would be nice.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
lol, well portal was kinda half-life themed, therefore you could consider half-life portal themed. so obviously the surprise WILL be Duke Nukem forever!!11!

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
OMg I hope they were kidding about portal 2 being the surprise. I played portal 1 was not impressed in the least. If they want to make a true surprise release HL EP3 already. They said oh if we go to releasing EP's it will mean shorter delays in between game releases so far that has not held up as true. When we finally get a new EP the game play only lasts for a couple of hours & then you have to wait for another 2 or 3 years for more.

Stop the EP releases & release a full game it has pretty much shown that it takes valve just as long to make a 3 hour game as it does to make a 12 hour game lol.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
all life on earth won't instantaneously stop as every molecule in your body explodes at the speed of light - that's why we need to wait we can't handle the speed yet.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ryanjm[/nom]Pretty funny. But if they had announced that they'd be taking over the development of Duke Nukem Forever it would have been one of the most epic E3 surprises ever.[/citation]
Or the end of Valve. Either or.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Igot1forya[/nom]They need to make a muliplayer Portal[/citation]
I was thinking the same thing. You'd have to have a third arm to fire a weapon or something, though.

babachoo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
You know, now that I think about this, I now know what the surprise is. Remember a month or two ago when Steam offered Portal for free download and EVERYONE jumped aboard and downloaded it? They were doing this to generate interest in the game, just previous to launching Portal 2. Expect Portal 2 to be here VERY soon. They wanted to allow us newbies to have just enough fun with Portal to want more, but not be tired of it. Then they drop the sequel on us and profit and cake will be served. This is quite a ingenious experiment with timing, and with a completely new type of presales hype, and I admire them for their efforts.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
they're making source engine 2 and they're fully converting HL1,HL2, EP1, and EP2 into one seamless game, with HL3, portal 2 and L4D3 following up 2011.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I have a lot of respect for Valve, but it seems that their focus, lately, has been on their lesser products. We have constant updates to team fortress 2, a "new" Left 4 Dead, and now a full fledged Portal sequel. However, they've all but abandoned their most famous franchise, Half-Life. Not to say that Left 4 Dead wasn't fun, or that Portal wasn't a pleasant waste of an hour or two (yeah, I went there)... but it would be nice to finish what they started with the Half-Life 2 story. When you leave the player with a "cliff hanger", you have to be careful your audience doesn't ACTUALLY "fall off" before you finish the story.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
So they can't finish portal 2 on time and they can't seem to ever get HL2 episode 3 out (and lets face it, ep3 AND HL3 should have been out by now).

...but they have enough resources to completely rewrite Steam and the source engine for the Mac?

Look I'm all happy for you Mac guys but valve is dicking the PC gamer on your behalf. Not cool.

waethorn

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
3DR will appear and announce that they've shifted development of DNF to the Source engine, and will be delayed another 5 years for them to figure out how to code in it.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
This surprise better be good. Valve has been tripping balls lately. The source engine has been showing its age for awhile now.

Valve's top selling original games have been forgotten mostly..instead we have gotten L4D, L4D 2, and now Portal 2? Portal?! SERIOUSLY?! Wow...1 took 1-2 hours, was easy as crap, and got old after 30 minutes. No re-playability, no multiplayer....fail.

We are due for another engine (HL 1998, HL2 2004) and HL3. I am assuming they are almost done with HL3...I mean what else have they been working on? Valve didn't make L4D 1 (Turtle Rock Studios did), L4D2 had to be quick to make. Heck the Orange Box was released in 2007.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]aletoil[/nom]Hierarchy:1. Half Life 32. Duke Nukem Forever3. Portal 2#2 would be historic, and melt everyones faces off.[/citation]

If Duke Nukem forever ever comes out, it will suck by today's standards. The only people who will play it are the one's old enough to remember the original. It just needs to die for good.

babachoo

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009

Yeah, but that's millions and millions of gamers. Don't underestimate the 30ish gamer market.

Status
Not open for further replies.