Question Possible CPU crash issue while gaming?

Dec 29, 2019
Hello! Glad to finally post on here instead of just use it for troubleshooting. Well maybe not so glad.

My issue is that I have had NO issues at all with playing games on my setup which is:

Win 10 Home
[EDIT] Ryzen 7 3700X
ASUS PRIME X570-P mobo
ASUS RTX 2070
16GB ram
WD Black ssd
Cooler Master MPY-6501-ACAAG PSU
(I think that's mostly the info I'd need here?)

-- until I picked up Jurassic World Evolution this week and it's kinda random when it happens (maybe between 10-20 mins in) but I get PC shut downs where I can't just power it back on, I have to click the PSU off to get it to power back on. This will happen every time I play. I have a simple knowledge base on how to build computers and how they "work" but not enough to troubleshoot what could be the issue here.

Things I've done already:
-Flashed Bios to newest version.
-Updated all drivers, chipset, and windows.
-Cleaned the inside (it's less than a half year old so not much dust yet).
-Checked the Frontier games website for info on crashes and found that updated AMD stuff is supposed to fix it but didn't really help me)

I am able to play very demanding games like Control, Youngblood, MH: World easily on highest settings, so I'm wondering if it's just not compatible with my setup?

Thank you for reading!

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If it's to the point of shutting down, you're not likely looking at overclocks, or anything like that.

Chances are, it's power or temperature (VRMs etc) related.

That motherboard shouldn't have problems in terms of overloading the VRMs, and your CPU would throttle itself (if it was overheating) long before the point of shut down.

So, with all that considered, I would suspect you're looking at a PSU issue.
It could just be that your 3800X and 2070 are maxing out at their respective peak power draws, and the PSU is unable to reliably provide that. I'm not sure how demanding JW Evolution is, although I'd suspect it wouldn't be taxing a 3800X to 100% sustained.

IIRC, the MWE Gold units were pretty decent (although not top tier)... While I wouldn't have any problems recommending the use of one normally, it does sound like the most likely culprit in this situation.

Dec 29, 2019
So, with all that considered, I would suspect you're looking at a PSU issue.
It could just be that your 3800X and 2070 are maxing out at their respective peak power draws, and the PSU is unable to reliably provide that. I'm not sure how demanding JW Evolution is, although I'd suspect it wouldn't be taxing a 3800X to 100% sustained.

Thanks so much for the invested reply my friend! I kinda suspected that - there was an interesting video on youtube that mentioned overheating the capacitors up with overlapping hardware and I thought maybe that could be it as the Ryzen stock cooler is pretty big. But my case has a decent amount of space and nothing seems to be overheating.

Would reducing the amount of used cores be recommended in reducing the power requirement? I've read on steam sometimes that helps; gamers can be overzealous with their suggestions, myself included.

I suppose the next thing is to look into a better PSU - now to learn about PSUs, lol.

Thanks again :)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Realistically, your system shouldn't peak much beyond maybe 350W, even under 100% load. Say 400W for arguments sake.

You could disable SMT in the BIOS, and apply say a 75% power limit for the GPU in MSI Afterburner.
That should bring your peak power draw down to <250W, IMO (loosely speaking anyway). While it's not a long-term solution, it should at least help isolate whether it's a power draw issue or not - although if the PSU is just defective, then it might not prove anything.

Dec 29, 2019
I tried what you recommended. I used Ryzen Master to turn off SMT, tried both MSI Afterburner (same play time) and then AI Suite (ASUS) to drop the power limit to 75%. It seemed to give me more play time in JW:E. Probably an extra 10 minutes, but it ultimately shut down. I tested some benchmarks with "Superposition" by Unigine and after 25 minutes I didn't get any shut down on extreme. I can't seem to replicate it in any other game so I'm kinda at a loss.

I appreciate the help so far though!

[EDIT]Super sorry but I was wrong about my CPU it's actually a 3700X not 3800.

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2019
Okay so I've done some stress testing now. I used OCCT 5 to stress test which didn't shut down my computer after 16 minutes of 100% CPU usage and only a peak of 85c. I've left the Superposition benchmark on for longer - which eventually after maybe 30ish minutes shut down my PC. I can't really say that this would be either my GPU or CPU but I'm not knowledgeable enough to troubleshoot from here on out.

I should mention that once my computer shuts down I can't power it back on until I manually turn off the PSU, and sometimes it won't power back on if I hit it right away. It'll start up but before it gets to my log in screen it just shuts off. Which then I only have to wait like a few seconds to start it up again.

New things:
I was able to, a couple weeks ago, play Wolfenstine: Youngblood for at least an hour or two and i just tested that, Control, and JW:Evolution (again) and they all shut down around the same time - 5-10 mins or so. I've opened the computer and made sure everything was seated correctly but it was decently built by a company here (Vancouver, Canada) called Memory Express.

Here are some screens of the test I thought might help.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cxb5bv29z5qizws/AABdkFdHZpgPiHvrN0gkcSrza?dl=0

Any advice from here on out? My next option is to call them as I got this thing at the end of summer.

[edit] I forgot to mention here as well that I listened each time for a fan increase and it doesn't happen. When I play Youngblood everything runs pretty quiet but then it just shuts off.

Thanks!

Last edited:
OCCT won't cause a shutdown because it is only stressing your CPU. The power draw of the CPU, GPU, and possibly other equipment are what us causing the crash.

How long have you had the power supply? As others have said, it should have enough power for your build, so you may want to look into an RMA on that unit. Otherwise, get a unit with a higher power rating.

Dec 29, 2019
OCCT won't cause a shutdown because it is only stressing your CPU. The power draw of the CPU, GPU, and possibly other equipment are what us causing the crash.

How long have you had the power supply? As others have said, it should have enough power for your build, so you may want to look into an RMA on that unit. Otherwise, get a unit with a higher power rating.

I received this build on July 24th and I haven't had problems until I tried running Jurassic World: Evolution. And now every game I play shuts down now at between 5-20 minutes. It doesn't even matter what te game is doing sometimes. I could be in the save menu or on a cutscene it (mobo) just beeps softly and then shuts down. The mobo light is on where my ram is but I can't power on until I power the PSU off manually then wait a couple minutes before turning on or it just shuts down again if I do i right after.

Thanks for your comment :) I'll be calling Memory Express tomorrow.