Question Possible Discord Malware? Ransomware? RAT?

BlunderScore

Distinguished
May 28, 2016
So I entirely fell for one of those 'Will you try this game?' scams on Discord, still feel really dumb since I should have known better but for some reason I thought a friend had actually sent it to me... turns out they were also hacked. I stupidly followed the instructions and next thing I know, Discord is restarting and so was Firefox with myself getting locked out of the former. The person then sent some kind of email asking for payment to get it back but I just ignored that and contacted support for help. I still let everyone I know and they warned any servers I was in to not trust anything that account sends, apparently it sent some nasty things to a couple friends but no one thought it was me thankfully.

Discord support is still looking into after two days so nothing yet but I'm still really worried about my computer. I can't find a solid answer on whether or not it's a RAT or just some kind of stealer software, all I know is I deleted the folder in a panic and cleared the recycle bin. I tried searching through Appdata but couldn't find anything or what it might be called since the 'game' name didn't turn up anywhere on the computer. Ran Malwarebytes but it couldn't find anything weird. At this point I'm fine with reinstalling Windows and just losing everything since I do have a spare SSD that I meant to switch to from the old HDD my OS is on which has been clearly not doing too well even before this just from age alone. I had a secondary drive will all my games but formatted and pulled it out immediately after (unsure if it's still possibly infected?) Not sure if it's still possible to find out what exactly was put on my computer or if anyone knows how I can find out since I'm worried a fresh install even on a new drive could still possibly carry something?

I changed all my emails and passwords, even cancelling and getting a new card in case they got all my saved Firefox info. So far the only thing that happened was a single PayPal charge which was immediately reversed when I reported it. Still really spooked though since I've never dealt with malware before and am usually super careful.
Also I used a flash drive to move the Malwarebytes onto this computer from another, but I'm so paranoid now that even that could somehow carry something and haven't put it into anything else. The affected computer was in safe mode during this but I don't know how cautious I should be.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
In a situation like this, it's simply prudent to completely wipe the drive and restore your data from your backups. 999 times out of 1000, everything will be fine after a full wipe-and-reinstall. You'll never find out *exactly* what you have.

Reactions: stonecarver

BlunderScore

Distinguished
May 28, 2016
In a situation like this, it's simply prudent to completely wipe the drive and restore your data from your backups. 999 times out of 1000, everything will be fine after a full wipe-and-reinstall. You'll never find out *exactly* what you have.
Oh I'm fine with 100% losing everything at this point, I'll just have to reinstall things again on a new drive. I was just worried any trace of whatever it was could possibly somehow linger and carry over with the old secondary. It's a 4TB I bought recently and wasn't super cheap, I really don't want to have to throw it right in the trash. I was hoping formatting and pulling it right out immediately afterwards would be enough.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Oh I'm fine with 100% losing everything at this point, I'll just have to reinstall things again on a new drive. I was just worried any trace of whatever it was could possibly somehow linger and carry over with the old secondary. It's a 4TB I bought recently and wasn't super cheap, I really don't want to have to throw it right in the trash. I was hoping formatting and pulling it right out immediately afterwards would be enough.

You can technically have a UEFI virus, but these are in practice fairly unusual in the wild because of what's required to propogate those. You'll see a lot of people *think* they have a UEFI virus, but more often than not, it's just people misinterpreting behavior or user error.

Do a full install and full format and there's almost certainly nothing to worry about.

Reactions: COLGeek

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Not pointing fingers or making fun of you but how Discord is so widely used to this day is beyond me. Discord is full of vulnerabilities and scams, just visiting some rooms can be sketch.

OP, I share your pain, we all make dumb mistakes that we know better. I got a message "from my phone carrier" about a refund. I knew better, the second I clicked it I knew I F'd up.

On a lighter note, ask the mods if you can be renamed to BlunderScore+1 ha

BlunderScore

Distinguished
May 28, 2016
Well I have reinstalled Windows on a new drive and plugged in the secondary I had, formatted it again just to be sure. Installed a different antivirus and scanned using that along with Malwarebytes. Haven't actually done much with it yet but everything seems fine unless there are any other scans that would be really good for finding anything hidden away somewhere.