[SOLVED] Possible GPU failure?

valiantsmash

Honorable
Feb 8, 2015
Hi all

So I seem to have come across an issue today.

I had booted up my pc to do some video editing/gaming and my pc locked up as soon as I had started editing. It seemed to have frozen with strange colours like artifacts all over both monitors. This required a restart.

Upon restart, my pc got through the lock/login screen, I managed to login and boot up a game to test if it could be a stress on the GPU and when starting a game my pc froze again but with a few more blocks on screen (see image #3). I then restarted again and as soon as I got past the lock/login screen I receive blue screen. I didn't happen to see the error message and there were no issues in the logs (I couldn't see anything). I then proceeded to a system restore which seemed to fix the blue screen problem (for now).

I rebooted up and the first thing I did was reinstall the drivers for the GPU. This did seem to temporarily fix the issue until I was playing a game briefly to get a few achievements. As I was browsing YouTube/google/net the white areas of the page were displaying weird pixels/arrifacts/tearing. There were missing pixels, blank areas etc. See pictures #1 - #2.
This was happening through both monitors.

The PC continued to run as per usual after this.

My question is: does this seem to indicate a failing GPU?
Are there any tests you would recommend which could help me determine if it is the GPU that is on its way out. I am considering buying a new GPU due to this issue and want to be certain that I am making the right decision.

My GPU is Geforce Gtx 780 3GB

Thanks all.

Image #1 Image containing Colour Tearing and Artifacts
https://pasteboard.co/ILDG7LF

Image #2
https://pasteboard.co/ILEekVc.jpg

Image #3 Artifacts shown/frozen PC
https://pasteboard.co/ILEggN0.jpg

Solution
What is your full system specs? including the brand name.

Remove your GPU from the slot and reseat it.

Both your monitor was doing this at the same time connected to 2 different port on the GPU? So unless both your monitor or the cable broke at the same time this can't be the monitors or cables right.

If you have a CPU with an integrated graphics you can try plugging one of your monitor to the motherboard port. If you don't see anything it points even more to a dying GPU.

What is your PSU? include it in the system specs.

Both your monitor was doing this at the same time connected to 2 different port on the GPU? So unless both your monitor or the cable broke at the same time this can't be the monitors or cables right.

If you have a CPU with an integrated graphics you can try plugging one of your monitor to the motherboard port. If you don't see anything it points even more to a dying GPU.

Solution

valiantsmash

Honorable
Feb 8, 2015

My PC specs are:

MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU: AMD FX-8350
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX 32GB (2x16GB)
GPU: GeForce GTX 780 3GB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1600w P2 80+
(PSU was purchased a couple of months ago with plans to upgrade)

Both my monitors were doing this at the same time. Yes, that is right. I am doubtful that it would be a monitor.

Ill give the integrated graphics a go. Its a very randomly timed issue though so it will be hard to test it out through on board. Ill try reseat the GPU shortly. It could also be a timing issue due to the random occurrences.

Ill check back with you with an update shortly.

My PC specs are:

MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU: AMD FX-8350
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX 32GB (2x16GB)
GPU: GeForce GTX 780 3GB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1600w P2 80+
(PSU was purchased a couple of months ago with plans to upgrade)

Both my monitors were doing this at the same time. Yes, that is right. I am doubtful that it would be a monitor.

Ill give the integrated graphics a go. Its a very randomly timed issue though so it will be hard to test it out through on board. Ill try reseat the GPU shortly. It could also be a timing issue due to the random occurrences.

Ill check back with you with an update shortly.

The FX line does not have integrated graphics. Plugging your monitor to your motherboard won't work in this case.