[SOLVED] Possible hardware issues - unknown root

Morgan Gerrell

Honorable
Jan 31, 2015
Hey all! I'm having some issues with my wife's PC that seems to be a bit above my own capabilities. I've built several well functioning gaming PCs for friends and family, as well as tinkered with my own gaming machine, swapping hardware and upgrading components. I've run into issues in the past, but I've always been able to narrow the problem down to a driver or something that didn't get updated to new hardware. This time it seems I've been bested. I upgraded my wife's PC back in October, I swapped her old i5 for a Ryzen, so it was a full mobo reinstall. At the same time, I bought matching RAM to double up her momery capacity and checked to make sure everything was on the AVL for the new mobo.

Now, the PC is a prebuilt and the only reason I got the ADATA RAM was to match what was already installed. The new and old RAM matched in things like latency, speed, and voltage, but when installing into the new mobo I noticed the new set had an -R at the end of the model number, I assumed it meant revised or something and paid no mind. I originally thought matching ram should be staggered, but this mobo seemed to want them side by side (A1 A2 B1 B2 - old1 old2 new1 new2) which is how i installed them. I wasn't 100% sure, so I did it that way figuring they were so similar it couldn't be an issue. CPU-Z has all 4 stick identical is pecs except for the new pair has a secondary manufacturer listed. After installing I did a windows refresh to get all the new drivers and what. I started getting sporadic BSODs and from a little looking online thought it may have been due to her old mechanical drive (5 or 6 years old from a premade PC) and recently got a new SSD to hopefully fix the problem. Obviously it did not. After installing the SSD I was plagued with lag and random locking up when not even doing any major tasks, but reformatting and reinstalling Windows a few times fixed that. I am still getting BSOD issues. The PC runs great, as a reference Destiny 2 gets 90 fps stable on medium settings with most components in very high usage but still stable. I have not messed with any kind of voltage settings in the bios. The BSOD errors are broad and not often the same, I have only today started keeping track of the errors, I'll update with more as they come. Here's the first 2 today.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Personally, I believe the RAM is at fault by some of the errors I have been getting, even though windows says the RAM is good.
I have run the windows memory check several times and gotten no error report, but when I ran MemtTest86 I got a few errors on test 8 each pass, I think I have a log of it somewhere if that's helpful.
I have set up the windows debug software and tried to use Windbg (x64) but cant really figure that out, I have no experience with it, but I can open a crash dump log.
I have run the windows dick check for the ssd several times and it comes back clean.

The new hardware-
Mobo - ASRock B450M PRO4 AM4
CPU - AMD RYZEN 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz
RAM - ADATA Premier 4GB 2400MHz DDR4
SSD - WD - Blue 1TB Internal SATA Solid State Drive

CPU-Z screenshots
Module 1 https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/375801121928904706/675766884313989156/unknown.png
Module 2 https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/375801121928904706/675766932380844037/unknown.png
Module 3 https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/375801121928904706/675766983178059792/unknown.png
Module 4 https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/375801121928904706/675767038593073153/unknown.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I apologize for the length, but if I may have screwed up somewhere in my process I figured someone else might see. I can pull any kind of log that may be useful.

Solution
I got the ADATA RAM was to match what was already installed. The new and old RAM matched in things like latency, speed, and voltage
Doesn't matter, mixed modules are not guaranteed compatibility. Even if they are EXACTLY the same make/model but bought from different packs.

Personally, I believe the RAM is at fault by some of the errors I have been getting, even though windows says the RAM is good.
If the issues only started occuring after the new RAM install, then it's more than likely an indicator.

but when I ran MemtTest86 I got a few errors on test 8 each pass
There you have it. Only acceptable number of errors on memtest is 0. And memtest is much more robust than windows memory diagnostic.

I'd remove the...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I got the ADATA RAM was to match what was already installed. The new and old RAM matched in things like latency, speed, and voltage
Doesn't matter, mixed modules are not guaranteed compatibility. Even if they are EXACTLY the same make/model but bought from different packs.

If the issues only started occuring after the new RAM install, then it's more than likely an indicator.

but when I ran MemtTest86 I got a few errors on test 8 each pass
There you have it. Only acceptable number of errors on memtest is 0. And memtest is much more robust than windows memory diagnostic.

I'd remove the new RAM and see if the issue persists.
If the issues persists, then please see this quick guide on what to include in BSOD posts (we need the dump files more than anything!) https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

Solution
When you upgrade RAM you should always buy a RAM KIT. Which mean replacing what you have already by new ram that is sold in a package (kit).

Buying the same brand and model outside a kit does not guarantee that it will work and if it does it can cause issues like you're having right now.

One more thing. 2400MHz RAM for a Ryzen 2600 system is like shooting it in the foot. A ryzen 2600 system should at least have 3000MHz RAM.

Your old RAM is not happy with your new RAM and they are just not stable together.

Replace the RAM you have with a RAM kit of 3000MHz RAM.

Morgan Gerrell

Honorable
Jan 31, 2015
When you upgrade RAM you should always buy a RAM KIT. Which mean replacing what you have already by new ram that is sold in a package (kit).

Buying the same brand and model outside a kit does not guarantee that it will work and if it does it can cause issues like you're having right now.

One more thing. 2400MHz RAM for a Ryzen 2600 system is like shooting it in the foot. A ryzen 2600 system should at least have 3000MHz RAM.

Your old RAM is not happy with your new RAM and they are just not stable together.

Replace the RAM you have with a RAM kit of 3000MHz RAM.
Thanks! I didn't realize that RAM needed to be bought together. I am going to remove the new ones and see if that increases my stability as PC Tailor had mentioned. I will definitely be getting a kit if that is the case! Thanks again!

Morgan Gerrell

Honorable
Jan 31, 2015

I'd remove the new RAM and see if the issue persists.
If the issues persists, then please see this quick guide on what to include in BSOD posts (we need the dump files more than anything!) https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/
I appreciate the reply! I will pull the new sticks and see if that helps things out. If it persists I will use link you posted and get the dump files. I appreciate the help!

Reactions: PC Tailor