Possible pc upgrade?

Spexels

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017
ello everyone, I recently tried playing far cry 5 at 1440p and 75hz and noticed my computer couldn't quite handle it, I have a i5-7600k, gtx 1070 and 16gb of ram. I'm thinking about upgrading either my gpu or my cpu, if I upgrade the gpu, it was give me more fps and be more expensive, but if I upgrade my cpu, it'll give me less fps but be cheaper and better in the long run. I found this chart showing the fps differences. Also, the gtx 11 series will be out in July, should I just wait for that?

https://www.fpsbenchmark.com/far-cry-5/gtx-1070

https://www.fpsbenchmark.com/far-cry-5/i5-7600k

Solution

Yes, variations between CPU performance when running at 1440p and higher resolutions means that the demand is shifted more on the GPU making the CPU less important. The only difference, and it is minimal, at those higher resolutions with say an i7 over an i5 is minimum frame rates. Same with say different speeds of an i5. This is especially true if you max out...
Yeah if you are running ultra quality, you'll be in the 60s in FPS average, so if your monitor is 75Hz you won't be capping it. A CPU upgrade to an i7 would only give you slightly better minimum FPS performance. But average and max FPS would mostly be unchanged at 1440p (and 4K). You'd need a GTX 1080 for that, but honestly, if I were you I'd just wait. While you could sell your 1070 for possibly even more than you paid for it depending one when you bought it (miner suckers), a 1080 is outrageously priced.

Regarding Nvidia's upcoming Volta, they are very tight lipped on release so nobody knows when they'll be out. I would not put any stock into expecting the first consumer Volta GPUs (11xx or 20xx, however they will label it) being released by summer. My guess is early fall. By the way your links are for 1080p, and for CPU, those performance variations completely change at 1440. Also, you don't state what model your 1070 is. Have you tried overclocking it? That can bump up performance to 10% or better depending on cooler design and silicon lottery. Example:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1070_quick_silver_8g_oc_review,29.html

Are you playing on ultra? If so just turn down the settings to high and you will barely notice any difference but will have quite the higher fps.

Spexels

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017

Thanks for your reply, I have overclocked my CPU, but not my GPU. I have a Evga GTX 1070 Super-clocked 2 GPU and i'm honestly too scared to overclock my GPU. I was leaning towards getting not a i7, but i5-8600k, but i guess ill just sit tight and wait till i can afford a upgrade. By the way, what do you mean when you say the CPU variations change, is there less of a difference in performance since the higher resolution would be more dependent on the GPU? Also, supposedly, the 11 series was confirmed for either late June or early July. Lastly, if i do ever upgrade, i have 2 8gb ram sticks clocked at 2133hz, do you think they could bottleneck my pc? There both Corsair Vengeances
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/nvidia-geforce-gtx-11-series-not-20-series/

Spexels

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017

No luck, Ubi came out with a new anti-piracy software that nearly cuts your performance in half, my cpu is being used 100% while my gpu is around 70-80%

Yeah just looked into it. Assisins creed origins all over again.

Yes, variations between CPU performance when running at 1440p and higher resolutions means that the demand is shifted more on the GPU making the CPU less important. The only difference, and it is minimal, at those higher resolutions with say an i7 over an i5 is minimum frame rates. Same with say different speeds of an i5. This is especially true if you max out quality settings and run high AA.

Regarding Volta, I would not put stock on being able to get your hands on one even if they are released by late summer (my bet is early fall). They will be hot items for months and stocks will be low. The miners will probably be snapping them up too. Oh and your memory is not going to be an issue. Faster or more memory does not do gaming any good. Productivity apps like video rendering or programming code, that's another story.

Solution