Possible to flash mobo without cpu working?

haxfar

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
(Note: I already made this post once, but posted it the wrong place so i requested it to get moved. Now i can't find it)

One of my friends recently bought a i7 930 with a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R. After installing it he got some problems, so he sent it back. Store says it's the bios there's something wrong, so now he wonder how it is possible, if at all, to update the bios with a cpu that aren't supported with current bios.

^+1, my EVGA X58 SLI LE had a very old BIOS, from 2008 or so, and the i7 930 still worked in it straight out of the box. It needs the CPU in order to perform a motherboard BIOS flash.

haxfar

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
He told me, when he had sent the cpu and mobo in, he had gotten the cpu back, but the mobo was changed for a new one. Is it possible to test if there's faults with one of them, somehow without putting it in other systems? He doesn't have that option.

punnar

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
This is a builder's nightmare. It's like needing to download a network drive on a computer you just built and have no other computer in the house. Since you can't test the mobo nor the cpu, you don't really know which one is defective. I would try to get a refund for the parts and go to another store.

This is excellent advice, probably the best option right now.