Question Possible to use the fn+_ combinations if I'm using a USB keyboard instead of the laptop keyboard?

Ceejae

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
The keyboard on my laptop stopped working so I'm using a USB keyboard with it, but now I can't activate various hardwares (camera, wifi) that I used to access with fn+f keys. Is there some way to access them without the original keyboard?

Fn+ key is modifier (like CTRL, ALT keys),they change key code to different key code, but in case of laptops they are mostly controlled by bios interrupt handler rather than operating system which makes it next to impossible to replace it by operating system software

you could try runing this command as you laptop manufacturer could give access to those hardware functions and in mobility center you could see on/off switches:
press win +r and type : mblctr

Reactions: Ceejae

Ceejae

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2012
Fn+ key is modifier (like CTRL, ALT keys),they change key code to different key code, but in case of laptops they are mostly controlled by bios interrupt handler rather than operating system which makes it next to impossible to replace it by operating system software

you could try runing this command as you laptop manufacturer could give access to those hardware functions and in mobility center you could see on/off switches:
press win +r and type : mblctr

I was worried that might be the case. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try.