Possible to use UPS for PSU?

whoisme555

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
I have a computer with a 750W Corsair PSU and I also have a 900W CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD UPS, and I got to thinking. Is it possible to install some sort of UPS system in a desktop to be used instead of a PSU? Just to save space on my desk/because it'd be fun to have no wires attached to my PC but still see it running.

Solution
It would be much larger than a standard PSU, while you could do it if you were very adventurous and good with electronics by hardwiring one of the plugs to the AC input of the PSU, i dont recommend attempting it as it would also require a custom enclosure and a custom case to hold it since i doubt you could get it down into a standard PSU size, or even the size of a CPX PSU.
It would be much larger than a standard PSU, while you could do it if you were very adventurous and good with electronics by hardwiring one of the plugs to the AC input of the PSU, i dont recommend attempting it as it would also require a custom enclosure and a custom case to hold it since i doubt you could get it down into a standard PSU size, or even the size of a CPX PSU.

Solution

whoisme555

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Meh, I'm not too handy so I think I'll go ahead and not risk damaging my computer, just wanted to see if there was already a PSU with a battery that I was unaware of. Thanks for helping ruin my crazy dream guys :) haha

The battery in a UPS is usually most of the size of the UPS to give it any decent run time, so to figure out how big it would need to be, you would basically need to add the volume of your UPS and your PSU, which would take up the bottom of most cases. So while it would be cool to have a PSU that gave you a few minutes of extra runtime, it would be super heavy and very expensive.