Question Possibly a dead CMOS battery ?

Dexxly_uk

Reputable
Nov 29, 2020
Sometimes when I go to sleep I turn the PSU switch off overnight and when I go and turn the pc back on the next day the mobo will light up but the pc won’t power on for a few hours and when it does turn back on the clock will be like 6 hours behind. I don’t think it’s the PSU because it's only 3 months old.

Dexxly_uk

Reputable
Nov 29, 2020
And I don’t think it is a cpu issue due to it being a regular occurrence and it always powers on in the end just waiting time varies

Check your Power button with an ohm meter if you have one, with computer unplugged and it's wires removed from motherboard header " power switch wires".

You will need 3 hands to do this, one lead on one of the wires, other lead on the remaining wire. With a third hand push the power button. Do the ohms on your meter start to climb. If so your switch works.

You can also jumper on mother board header with a small flathead screw driver the power switch pins. Just watch what your doing and have good light.
Also make sure your new battery is touching prongs all the way.

if this all turn out ok, like already suggested move on to power supply.

Dexxly_uk

Reputable
Nov 29, 2020
Check your Power button with an ohm meter if you have one, with computer unplugged and it's wires removed from motherboard header " power switch wires".

You will need 3 hands to do this, one lead on one of the wires, other lead on the remaining wire. With a third hand push the power button. Do the ohms on your meter start to climb. If so your switch works.

You can also jumper on mother board header with a small flathead screw driver the power switch pins. Just watch what your doing and have good light.
Also make sure your new battery is touching prongs all the way.

if this all turn out ok, like already suggested move on to power supply.
I will try jump the start pins

Dexxly_uk

Reputable
Nov 29, 2020
I have just taken the gpu out and tried to jump the pins and nothing Happened I also tested the ram.

EDIT:

But recently before it died under load I did hear a weird electrical noise from the psu.

But recently before it died under load I did hear a weird electrical noise from the psu.
Sigh.....

Ok little life lesson, when a machine, be it electrical or mechanical, makes an abnormal noise. It's talking to you!

At this point use a tester power supply on system. IF your lucky it boots but it was " screaming to you" it needed help before you got to this point.