stephen-mc-goo

Reputable
Jan 11, 2019
Hi I was thinking about potentially upgrading my PC some time this year and was looking a bit of advice. I was thinking of getting one of the new consoles but thought I would be better off putting any money towards a new GPU instead. I built my first PC at the start of 2019 and its been perfect ever since, however there are many games which I would like to play that I don't feel my PC can fully handle and many more that keep coming out. I've also started doing a bit of streaming and editing which can be quite taxing on my current build. My main questions are would I need to upgrade anything else along with a new GPU like maybe CPU, Power Supply or Motherboard? Or could I get a new GPU that would work okay with everything I currently have? Any suggestions on graphics cards would be very appreciated, I'm looking something to play some of the more graphically taxing games and stream them at the same time. I will be doing my own research as well but I just find these forums to be extremely helpful as I have not kept up with everything PC since i first built mine and have forgotten a lot of the info on PC building. I've had literally no problems with my build since the day I tightened the last screw and hit the power button so I've had no reason to keep up with everything! lol Sorry for the long post, any help at all would be very appreciated! Thank you. Also here is my build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 3400MHz, 6 Core
Motherboard: B450 TOMAHAWK
GPU: Radeon RX 580 Series
RAM: Corsair Vengence 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz
Power Supply: EVGA 650GQ 80+ GOLD
Case: NZXT H500 Mid-Tower

Solution
Right now gpus are pretty high. For example, I recently paid about 400 for a gtx 1070. 1650s are about 300, so you have an idea. The rx 580 8gb is actually selling on eBay for about 300-400 right now however.
If you wanted to do a cpu swap, I would guess with a bios update your board would run a 5600x or 5800x. Double check on msi support page, but my asrock ab350 pro 4 is running a ryzen 5 3600 without issues, so it would be worth to check.

So as I see it you’ve got some options.

1. Keep what you’ve got.
  2. Upgrade cpu and keep your gpu.
  3. Sell your rx 580 8gb card for say 300-350 on eBay, use whatever proceeds you get to go towards a better card. For example, a gtx 1080 can be hard for about 450 it looks like. Maybe if...
Right now gpus are pretty high. For example, I recently paid about 400 for a gtx 1070. 1650s are about 300, so you have an idea. The rx 580 8gb is actually selling on eBay for about 300-400 right now however.
If you wanted to do a cpu swap, I would guess with a bios update your board would run a 5600x or 5800x. Double check on msi support page, but my asrock ab350 pro 4 is running a ryzen 5 3600 without issues, so it would be worth to check.

So as I see it you’ve got some options.

1. Keep what you’ve got.
  2. Upgrade cpu and keep your gpu.
  3. Sell your rx 580 8gb card for say 300-350 on eBay, use whatever proceeds you get to go towards a better card. For example, a gtx 1080 can be hard for about 450 it looks like. Maybe if you can score a newer amd or nvidia card that would be a good upgrade, maybe a 3060 or somewhere in that range.

Solution
to get the most out of a more powerful GPU also upgrading the CPU would be a good idea.
depending on which CPU, you may also want to upgrade the memory.

but with the state of GPUs at the current time, it's not very likely that you will find anything worth buying for anywhere near to the MSRP.
whether it will be a few more months or years it's really hard to tell when things may get back to "normal".

it's a tough decision for many this year with what to do about GPU upgrades.
you could start upgrading the main components and just wait to see what happens with graphics cards.
or just forget it for a while and go for a new console for now.

I get your point. I just purchased a 1070 to upgrade from my 970 for example. But bought the 1070 on eBay so I will have buyer protection. I put that onto a credit card so that I can get it, when it arrives and I can verify functionality then I’ll sell the 970 hopefully at 150 dollars or better and put that back towards what I paid for the 1070.

Don’t get me wrong the 970 is ok, but when you have a 144 hz monitor, it’s nice to get a little higher fps. Either way the rx 580 isn’t a terrible card. Might be a good idea to pull the cooler and put new thermal paste on though.

Hi I was thinking about potentially upgrading my PC some time this year and was looking a bit of advice. I was thinking of getting one of the new consoles but thought I would be better off putting any money towards a new GPU instead. I built my first PC at the start of 2019 and its been perfect ever since, however there are many games which I would like to play that I don't feel my PC can fully handle and many more that keep coming out. I've also started doing a bit of streaming and editing which can be quite taxing on my current build. My main questions are would I need to upgrade anything else along with a new GPU like maybe CPU, Power Supply or Motherboard? Or could I get a new GPU that would work okay with everything I currently have? Any suggestions on graphics cards would be very appreciated, I'm looking something to play some of the more graphically taxing games and stream them at the same time. I will be doing my own research as well but I just find these forums to be extremely helpful as I have not kept up with everything PC since i first built mine and have forgotten a lot of the info on PC building. I've had literally no problems with my build since the day I tightened the last screw and hit the power button so I've had no reason to keep up with everything! lol Sorry for the long post, any help at all would be very appreciated! Thank you. Also here is my build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 3400MHz, 6 Core
Motherboard: B450 TOMAHAWK
GPU: Radeon RX 580 Series
RAM: Corsair Vengence 2x8GB DDR4 3000MHz
Power Supply: EVGA 650GQ 80+ GOLD
Case: NZXT H500 Mid-Tower
Put a new gpu on hold prices are a little nutty.
Look into a 3700x cpu.
Nice bump in perf should be a straight swap.
About 300 bucks.

Run this and post a link to the results page.
PC Benchmark

3700x isn’t a bad idea. If your board supports it you might consider a 5600x instead. The catch would be you’d probably have to do a bios update. Have a look.

stephen-mc-goo

Reputable
Jan 11, 2019
Thanks for all the feedback. I was thinking the GPU prices where a bit crazy at the moment as I seen my RX 580 one day for mad prices. Can't remember exactly but I got mine for around 200 and something at the time (2019) so it's a big difference. I never considered just a CPU upgrade instead so I will have a look into that and see what sorta prices were talking. I also may consider a console purchase and wait it out too, depending on money. Really wanted to play and stream Elden Ring in January and would like it too run nicely! lol I done the PC Benchmark here are the results: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/44562993 From what I can tell it seems to be doing fine. But not 100% on all the details! lol

johnsoner13

Respectable
6700 XTs are extremely easy to get now at MSRP on AMD drop days. The past few drops Ive seen them last a few mins. The hard to get ones are the 6800s and 6800xts. So if youre looking for a new gpu now and dont mind the 6700xt, theres that
Edit: this is for US, not sure about elsewhere

Thanks for all the feedback. I was thinking the GPU prices where a bit crazy at the moment as I seen my RX 580 one day for mad prices. Can't remember exactly but I got mine for around 200 and something at the time (2019) so it's a big difference. I never considered just a CPU upgrade instead so I will have a look into that and see what sorta prices were talking. I also may consider a console purchase and wait it out too, depending on money. Really wanted to play and stream Elden Ring in January and would like it too run nicely! lol I done the PC Benchmark here are the results: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/44562993 From what I can tell it seems to be doing fine. But not 100% on all the details! lol
Ram.
Look in the bios for xmp/docp and enable it.
Rerun the benchmark.

johnsoner13

Respectable
but with the state of GPUs at the current time, it's not very likely that you will find anything worth buying for anywhere near to the MSRP.
would not be a good idea to sell that GPU to put funds toward a new build when they may not find another replacement GPU for quite some time
6700xts are very easy to find at msrp. Which may be worthwhile considering they can sell their rx580 for a decent price. I understand you forked over 800-900 dollars for yours, but that doesn’t mean everyone has to.

Last edited: