Power on but no power to cd/dvd drive

Quite obviously, the cd/dvd drive is not receiving enough power or may be no power at all.. Could be as a result of improper/loose connection or bad wire.. Re-check to make sure that all connections are properly secured.. Change wires if necessary..

tpet02

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
All of the wires come out of one power supply. The power supply has two lines for power to IDE CD/DVD drives. I tried both and they don't work. The power to the SATA hard drives work though. Could I have a bad 1/2 of the power supply?

tpet02

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
I have 2 optical drives and they both, use to work. Could I have a back 1/2 of the power supply, because I get power to the mother board and SATA hard drives?

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hi tpet02, Welcome to THW.

First thing I would ask since your SATA hard drive is getting power, are either of the CD/DVD drives connected to the same power string as the hard drive? And do you only have one optical drive or two seperate ones?

One other thing, sometimes the loss of use of your optical drives is a sign of a malicious virus, do you have an anti-virus program on your computer and do you use it?

tpet02

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Hi tpet02, Welcome to THW.

First thing I would ask since your SATA hard drive is getting power, are either of the CD/DVD drives connected to the same power string as the hard drive? And do you only have one optical drive or two seperate ones?

One other thing, sometimes the loss of use of your optical drives is a sign of a malicious virus, do you have an anti-virus program on your computer and do you use it?

Same power supply, separate wire. Neither CD/DVD drive powers up even though the mother board recognizes them. I can't get into safe mode, so I'm going to swap out the Power Supply and see if this helps. Once I get power to the CD/DVD I will try to boot from the CD, then look for the hard drives.

I also Ran a software program to update my drivers. It cost me $40 but did not fix a thing, so I'm going back to original drivers from ASUS for my A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard and step through making sure things are installed on the mother board properly, one device at a time.

I don't know any other way to do this.

Hopefully, with a new powersupply the devices at least I can boot up then install the drivers for my devices.

How does that sound?

tpet02

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Did you try using one optical drive at a time and not both.

I tried both and even a separate line to the CD/DVD drives, neither provided power to the CD/DVD drives.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
First, but a little to late, dont ever pay for software that does something you can easily do yourself and almost always better. Drivers are easy to find and download, all you need is your part numbers and download the lastest versions, and its free. The software can make mistakes and I would assume its very common for it to do so.

Second, I would try using just the CD drive, leave the DVD out. And as far as I know if your BIOS sees the drive they should have power running to them otherwise the BIOS wouldnt be able to detect them. I am not 100% sure on this, I may test it later on my PC.

tpet02

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
I don't think it's the power supply, it's only 3 years old. I read about swapping IDE cables to the CD drive, so I'm gong to try this. What about wiping the BIOS by taking out the battery and starting over?

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
If your PC will power on and the BIOS see your drives, it is not the PSU, it is something with the software/configuration or the drives/IDE cable. You could try to restore the default settings to your BIOS but first, check and make sure one of the drives is set as a slave drive by the small jumpers on the back:

07-optical-jumper.jpg

Then go into your BIOS to the Boot Settings and put the master before the slave in the boot order, I dont know if this is necessary or will change anything but thats how I have always done it. Then if those ideas do not work try to reset your BIOS to its default settings.