lamer

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
I have a computer p4 2.6 a processor, asusp4800x motherboard, 128 MB video card gforce and pc400 512MB memmory. The problem starts when I turned-on the power on my avr the computer boots-up already..starting winxp, I did'nt even push the power button on my computer.I tried to use another power supply(300watts) but still the same, also tried to clear bios, change power cables and avr..still the same computer boots-up when I turned-on the avr.I can shutdown the computer properly is just the boot-up process.I need some advice..thks...

lamer

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
the problem is that the computer will boots-up or it will turned on(power on) without pushing the power button on the computer.meaning once I switch on the AVR the computer will boot up and will start winxp.i'm not even touching the power button on the computer.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sounds like BIOS is set to resume after power failure.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jaimegmr

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2001
Not sure but I think my computer does this too when plugging it into the wall and im sure its not set to resume after power failure. I think this is teh way PSUs are designed? It sees it has power so internal circuits switch on. The only way to keep my computer off is if I dont use an external switch, meaning that the power supply always has power given to it. That way it can detect when you press the power button on the front of the case.

Signature X__________________________ <-- Sign here please.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most of the BIOS settings I've seen for newer boards have 3 settings available for how to act after a power failure: Stay Off, Turn On, or Last State. Last State is supposed to remember whether the system was powered or not. I use Stay Off for my home PC, but if I were running a web server I'd set it to Last State.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>