Power randomly cutting out

sorcerercid

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Hello,
I made my PC recently. It was fine until the cpu was overheating. That's fixed but now my randomly cuts power. In BIOS settings when it's set to optimum power the PC lasts longer before it cuts out. I can play a game for about 5 mins. But when it's set to optimum power mode it cuts off right after windows loads up. Whats the problem?

ryandsouza

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
Again, you need to give us your system specs.

At 124 deg C, the CPU is mostly toast... so I'm guessing there's some problem with the temperature reporting.

Just to rule out thermal shutdown, you better reseat the heatsink and post back any changes in temps.
If its the same, you might want to try some other utility for checking temps like CoreTemp. The best would be one which is bundled with your motherboad software as in my experience they tend to give the most accurate temps.

Secondly, the PSU. You said cheap, as in how cheap? It may say 800W on the label but the rating may not be as much. It might help if you post the PSU's rating as on the label i.e. the rated current for the 12V rail(s).

If the PSU is at fault, beware, it may take out some other components as well. Happened with me, cheap-a$$ PSU took out 2 of my HDDs (were under warranty so got them replaced :) )