Question Power Supply 700 watt recomendation

Aug 4, 2019
I wanted to ask any recommendations for a 700 watt power supply, that isnt too expensive (maybe around 50-80 dollars) but wont blow up my computer either. This is since I was planning on getting a new gpu, but it seems that the peak wattage of all the components would be around 571 watts, though most likely it wont reach this point. Anyway, I think my EVGA 600 b1 might not have enough cushion anymore, or if I should install the gpu anyway..
Here is a question I had asked previously stating the details of how I came across the 571. : https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/max-power-usage-of-system-and-good-psu-wattage-recomendation.3508665/ (just adding it here just in case)

I came across this power supply https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LGMZV1...olid=35FDXDIBPKU27&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it . However, I also noticed that only 3 of the 314 reviews are actually about this. I dont get why amazon mixes reviews from different products. 1 of the reviews is for pre-dented, 1 for defective, and 1 for good.

I heave heard that thermaltake makes crappy products, and I am worried that the quality of that power supply is not good, as the price seems to good to be true for a gold psu with Japanese capacitors, so I am thinking they skimped somewhere. I wanted to ask what you guys think of this psu, or if you all have any recommendations?

gn842a

Honorable
Oct 10, 2016
I heave heard that thermaltake makes crappy products, and I am worried that the quality of that power supply is not good, as the price seems to good to be true for a gold psu with Japanese capacitors, so I am thinking they skimped somewhere. I wanted to ask what you guys think of this psu, or if you all have any recommendations?

Whatever you get, whether EVGA or Thermaltake, PAY ATTENTION TO THIS: The modular cables that come with the psu get used with the psu. If you are thinking you can buy a new psu and pop it in and just attach the modular cables from your previous EVGA 600 (this is true even if you buy another EVGA) you could easily blow out the entire build. So don't do that.

To the question of what to buy for $80, my suggestion is, you are thinking about it wrong. There is ONE component about which your best estimate of price and quality should determine your purchase, and that's the psu. That's because a bad psu can ruin everything else and then saving $50 over that Seasonic (for example) won't seem so smart.

Here is the list of Tom's Hardware "these are good" psus. You will find that some of them are not available or no longer available at a reasonable price. In the end I just decided to buy Seasonic at the watt level I thought was good. Most people like Seasonic. If you read the Newegg reviews you will see that none of these companies makes everyone happy.

As for Thermaltake, they were recommended to me in another forum and they were my "main thing" for these past 6 years. My previous build was beginning to hang up on boot and shut down occasionally. These are often psu failure symptoms. The Thermaltake 850W psu had more than 15,000 hours on it. So I figured I'd replace it with a Seasonic - and that's when I blew out my peripherals because I used the Thermaltake modular cables in the Seasonic.

But 15,000 hours was a pretty good run for the psu and it was still working when I took it out, we can't be sure that the issues had I had with the build were the psu. The thermalpaste on the cpu could have been failing (for example). So we'll never know. But it's likely the psu was reaching end of life.

I have another 6 year old computer upstairs it is running on a Thermaltake for the last 3 years. I had it running on a Corsair which was a $35 psu and I didn't trust it. So I replaced it with a thermaltake which failed after 3 months. I sent it to the Thermaltake and they sent me back a 1050 watt model becuase they were out of the 850s. The replacement is still running fine.

So I had one Thermaltake which collapsed after three months. One that might have been failing after 15,000 or more hours. And one that is still going strong after three years. I'm in no hurry to replace it. So all told I think Thermaltakes can be good but I certainly see many disparaging comments about them in fora, and I personally am moving towards Seasonic. That's what's in the build I'm writing to you on. And that's what I'm getting my kid, who wants to build his own desktop, I offered to buy him a psu to help out.

Greg N

I wanted to ask any recommendations for a 700 watt power supply, that isnt too expensive (maybe around 50-80 dollars) but wont blow up my computer either. This is since I was planning on getting a new gpu, but it seems that the peak wattage of all the components would be around 571 watts, though most likely it wont reach this point. Anyway, I think my EVGA 600 b1 might not have enough cushion anymore, or if I should install the gpu anyway..
Here is a question I had asked previously stating the details of how I came across the 571. : https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/max-power-usage-of-system-and-good-psu-wattage-recomendation.3508665/ (just adding it here just in case)

I came across this power supply https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LGMZV1...olid=35FDXDIBPKU27&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it . However, I also noticed that only 3 of the 314 reviews are actually about this. I dont get why amazon mixes reviews from different products. 1 of the reviews is for pre-dented, 1 for defective, and 1 for good.

No there aren't any.

You need to raise the budget.

One of these 750W units.

Seasonic Focus Plus
Corsair RMX
EVGA G2

Depends on the graphics card. 600W may be fine, though your B1 may not be (again, depending on the GPU).

As stated: 700W that isn't crap and under $80 is an oxymoron.