[SOLVED] Power Supply fails Supply tester PG under 90ms?

alikabir1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
So bought a RM1000x for a ryzen build and tested the supply through a cheap power supply tester , The PG (power good) is blinking at 90ms and other rails are under spec. I tried plugging this through my UPS which is a 1000VA APC and that instantly went into bypass mode and sounded the alarms. Is this unit bad?
https://ibb.co/b7vqx6y

Last edited:
Solution
I could have but didn't bother as I have to run it through the UPS anyway, I have small voltage drops/dips 1s to 2s coupled with 10 minutes outages (random) where I live so I never try running any systems without a UPS for longer periods and Yes the UPS is connected to the wall as well its a double conversion type. I am having the supply checked at the tech center where I purchased this supply from will definitely know by Monday.........I naturally panicked and gave the store a call :oops:

I'm just thinking with it being a 1000W PSU, it has a very high hold up time, therefore a very large inrush. This inrush could be exceeding the capability of the UPS. So, I would try the PSU without the UPS to see if it works. If it...

alikabir1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I would suspect a defective tester first.
Thanks for the response. Yes I thought so too, but hooked it up to my motherboard and tried to power on and my UPS went into bypass mode with the same errors again , after removing the supply tested it again with the same Power supply tester same 90ms read, tested 2 more small supplies with the same tester both PGs were at 290ms.

Corsair rm units are supposedly top quality so a defective unit is not to be expected.
But defects do happen.
Contact corsair for a rma.
But, first, verify that your modular cables are plugged into the proper ports on the psu, and are the proper ones to plug in to the motherboard and peripherals.

You do not want to confuse 8 pin eps cables with pcie cables or plug the wrong ends into the psu.

Reactions: alikabir1984

alikabir1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Corsair rm units are supposedly top quality so a defective unit is not to be expected.
But defects do happen.
Contact corsair for a rma.
But, first, verify that your modular cables are plugged into the proper ports on the psu, and are the proper ones to plug in to the motherboard and peripherals.

You do not want to confuse 8 pin eps cables with pcie cables or plug the wrong ends into the psu.
I agree Corsair never gave any problems before been running their supplies since 2009 , have a RM850x which runs fine bought in 2016 , PG on the same tester also at 290ms this new ones seems off, plugged the cables correctly. I am contacting corsair and APC both for some solutions.

alikabir1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
What happens if you're NOT plugged into the UPS?
well I only checked the supply through the tester plugged into the wall directly and the PG was blinking 90ms constantly, took the supply hooked it to the UPS and boom it went into bypass mode and had to hard reset the UPS , bypassed twice with just the tester and last was hooked to the motherboard 24 pin, 8 pin ,6pin to gpu and it did it again.

Yes you god!

Ok. The newer RMx's have faster timings to support ATX 3.0's modern standby mode requirements. So let's forget the tester.

well I only checked the supply through the tester plugged into the wall directly and the PG was blinking 90ms constantly, took the supply hooked it to the UPS and boom it went into bypass mode and had to hard reset the UPS , bypassed twice with just the tester and last was hooked to the motherboard 24 pin, 8 pin ,6pin to gpu and it did it again.

Why can't you test the PC without the UPS? You're saying you used the tester without the UPS and the motherboard with the UPS.... That leaves one more combination: The motherboard without the UPS.

Also, you can't power up a motherboard with a PSU if there's no CPU, etc. Are you really trying to power up an unpopulated motherboard?

alikabir1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Ok. The newer RMx's have faster timings to support ATX 3.0's modern standby mode requirements. So let's forget the tester.

Why can't you test the PC without the UPS? You're saying you used the tester without the UPS and the motherboard with the UPS.... That leaves one more combination: The motherboard without the UPS.

Also, you can't power up a motherboard with a PSU if there's no CPU, etc. Are you really trying to power up an unpopulated motherboard?
I should have clarified , I have a Ryzen 3900x on a Asus x570-E 32 gb ram and a RTX 2070 SUPER not just the motherboard. Yes I have 2 systems running on this APC SRV1KI 880 watts. I didn't check the PC outside the UPS only checked the supply directly through the wall with the tester. This Ups handles a RM850x and a TX750 so I assumed this should work too, but my plan was to upgrade the PSUs and swap the old tx750 with the rm850x and install this RM1000x in my current rig.

I have this unit UK plug :
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm1000x-2021-power-supply-review

Last edited:
I should have clarified , I have a Ryzen 3900x on a Asus x570-E 32 gb ram and a RTX 2070 SUPER not just the motherboard. Yes I have 2 systems running on this APC SRV1KI 880 watts. I didn't check the PC outside the UPS only checked the supply directly through the wall with the tester. This Ups handles a RM850x and a TX750 so I assumed this should work too, but my plan was to upgrade the PSUs and swap the old tx750 with the rm850x and install this RM1000x in my current rig.

I have this unit UK plug :
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm1000x-2021-power-supply-review

So CAN YOU try the RM1000x with the motherboard, etc. without the UPS?

And when you are testing it with the UPS, is the UPS still plugged into the wall as well?

alikabir1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
So CAN YOU try the RM1000x with the motherboard, etc. without the UPS?

And when you are testing it with the UPS, is the UPS still plugged into the wall as well?

I could have but didn't bother as I have to run it through the UPS anyway, I have small voltage drops/dips 1s to 2s coupled with 10 minutes outages (random) where I live so I never try running any systems without a UPS for longer periods and Yes the UPS is connected to the wall as well its a double conversion type. I am having the supply checked at the tech center where I purchased this supply from will definitely know by Monday.........I naturally panicked and gave the store a call :oops:

I'm just thinking with it being a 1000W PSU, it has a very high hold up time, therefore a very large inrush. This inrush could be exceeding the capability of the UPS. So, I would try the PSU without the UPS to see if it works. If it does, you probably just need a bigger UPS or one that isn't on-line ("double conversion").

Solution

alikabir1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
Yes I agree should have tried it on the mains directly , well thank you for the help in figuring this out I now believe I sent a proper working PSU back for nothing. Its Sunday here so most likely I'll have a response tomorrow and also contacted APC for some help on this matter, hopefully some firmware update. Will definitely update tomorrow.

alikabir1984

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
I'm just thinking with it being a 1000W PSU, it has a very high hold up time, therefore a very large inrush. This inrush could be exceeding the capability of the UPS. So, I would try the PSU without the UPS to see if it works. If it does, you probably just need a bigger UPS or one that isn't on-line ("double conversion").

Update:
The tech returned my power supply today and sent a video to confirm this unit was working properly. It was indeed the inrush current tripping the UPS into bypass mode , contacted APC and they gave me a list of procedures to check and recommended that I disable Green Mode to mitigate the problem. The setting for the UPS were default set to Green mode being OFF so I enabled it and NOW the supply isn't tripping the UPS. Checked trice with other systems on and this supply installed on the Ryzen PC working fine.

The supply is All Good, Thank you for your help in figuring this out..........................now I have to wait for a power outage to see if the UPS can handle the load :oops: