[SOLVED] Power supply fan stops working randomly.

pizzacatnip

Prominent
Aug 24, 2018
My power supply, the EVGA 850W BQ 80+ Bronze, worked great for a year until one day I turned my computer on and realized the power supply fan wasn't spinning. This was right after I dusted out my pc, so I was worried I accidentally broke my psu fan. After doing basically nothing, just flicking the power switch and unplugging the power cord, it suddenly worked again after I turned my computer on again. Nothing happened for another 8 months until the fan didn't move again. To be more precise, the fan barely moves about an inch before going back again and trying the process all over again. No sound is made, and turning the whole system off and on again multiple times doesn't work. Also, when plugging in the power cord there are some weird sounds that come from my computer. Clicking noises that I cant really describe but usually at least one click when inserting the power cord. I don't know if that is normal but I thought maybe something inside the psu is being moved and blocking the fan (nothing is blocking it from the outside.) This fan problem happened recently again, but this time I couldn't fix it. It took a week of it being broken before it just resolved itself and started spinning again. During this time I had the side panel off with an office fan blowing on the psu to keep it cool. I wasn't checking on the psu regularly, but I know the fan was still busted after a few days. I have no clue what could be causing this and don't really want to buy a whole new psu. I also am afraid that this problem will happen again and it wont fix itself. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

pizzacatnip

Prominent
Aug 24, 2018
You're probably right, I got this psu on sale for only 30 - 40 dollars and had to pick it up. My specs are: Gigabyte AMD AM3+ 78LMT-USB3 R2, AMD FX-8350, GEFORCE GTX 1050 Ti, Samsung 500 GB SSD, and 8 gigs of DDR3 ram. I honestly didn't know that the psu fan was automatic, as it had spun every time my computer was on.