[SOLVED] Power supply needed for 10900k + 3080 (ti/super)

Oct 20, 2020
Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a 10900k and a RTX 3080, maybe 3080 ti / super. I will use a 360mm aio liquid cooler for the cpu (Fractal design s36), Asus Z490-E motherboard, 2 x M.2 SSD's 500 GB, 32 GB ram 3600mhz, and 3 fans in the computer case. I'll do a litte overclocking on the cpu, and the gpu as well. I can't decide (understand) how big of a power supply I need for this build. Is 750w gold enough?

Would really appreciate some good advice here! Thanks in advance :)

Solution
NVidia recommends 750 watts. I wouldn't go less than that.
The card is 320w and the CPU is 125w. If you go to a Ti or Super, the card will even be more.

....and "gold" doesn't mean anything as far as "available power".
750 watts is 750 watts whether it's gold silver or pink

....and if I were going to invest in an expensive GPU like the 3080 I would get a good quality PSU.

here is the latest PSU tier list.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/psu-tier-list-psucultists.3624094/
NVidia recommends 750 watts. I wouldn't go less than that.
The card is 320w and the CPU is 125w. If you go to a Ti or Super, the card will even be more.

....and "gold" doesn't mean anything as far as "available power".
750 watts is 750 watts whether it's gold silver or pink

....and if I were going to invest in an expensive GPU like the 3080 I would get a good quality PSU.

here is the latest PSU tier list.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/psu-tier-list-psucultists.3624094/

Reactions: Hemulen
Solution
Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a 10900k and a RTX 3080, maybe 3080 ti / super. I will use a 360mm aio liquid cooler for the cpu (Fractal design s36), Asus Z490-E motherboard, 2 x M.2 SSD's 500 GB, 32 GB ram 3600mhz, and 3 fans in the computer case. I'll do a litte overclocking on the cpu, and the gpu as well. I can't decide (understand) how big of a power supply I need for this build. Is 750w gold enough?

Nvidia recommends 850 watts for your system. If you'll be OC'ing the CPU and GPU you should not use anything smaller.

Asus-Ampere-GPUs-recommended-PSUs.jpg

i9 with 3080 is on the smaller top table. Look again.
I don't believe that table is from Nvidia. Nvidia actually note against their 750w rating "Requirement is made based on PC configured with an Intel Core i9-10900K processor. A lower power rating may work depending on system configuration. "

That said if I was build with the hope of getting a future 3080Ti/Super which the OP is doing I would go no lower than 850w.

I don't believe that table is from Nvidia. Nvidia actually note against their 750w rating "Requirement is made based on PC configured with an Intel Core i9-10900K processor. A lower power rating may work depending on system configuration. "

That said if I was build with the hope of getting a future 3080Ti/Super which the OP is doing I would go no lower than 850w.
OP says he will OC both CPU and GPU so I don't think a bit extra would hurt.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi guys,

I would get 850 watts for the i9 and 3080 probably go with a 1K watt if looking at a ti/super since their no information on them.

More is not better but buying one then seeing it's to small and having to buy another is bad.

OP says he will OC both CPU and GPU so I don't think a bit extra would hurt.
Agree, no harm in going extra. I just feel that table has a significant headroom built in over and above NVidia's own recommendation. My 3080 paired with a 3700X and PBO peaked at 546w at the wall (platinum 650w psu) when I stressed it running Cinebench R20 and Port Royal simultaneously maxing out cpu and gpu. When gaming it generally stays under 450w. That table suggests a 750w is needed but actually I have no issues with a high quality 650w that still gives 100w headroom.